Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 93 geo tracker 2 door w/4x4 Idk what the max weight is for towing. But i have a old jayco j 806 pop up id like to be able to pull with it. But i dont want to wreck anything trying to pull to hard. On flat ground i can move the trailer by hand. And i dont know the empty weight of it.

So thoughts on the possibility of towing that camper with it? We only go about 50 miles MAX from home.

Oh and its a 5 spd

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
When towing, being able to stop and control the load are more important than being able to actually move it.

Just use your brain. (IE: If it feels " squirrelly" it might not be safe. and trailer brakes help you control it if it is close to the MAX trailer weight.)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
How heavy is it? is it braked?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi I tow my popup all the time no problems. It weighs 500kgs. The manual says max 450kgs max if unbraked, but I have had a little more than that and no problems if sensible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I reckon the recommended tow weight is including a gross vehicle weight; so you may be able to get away with a heavier tow on an empty truck. This is for braking of course, you still gotta worry about turning and rear end load unbalance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ive towed a 1200lb trailer with a couple thousand lbs of engine heads on it.

Safe...god no.

Stopping the load on flat ground with all new brakes wasnt.a real problem driving.intelligently. But on a wet road, 1200lb alone can and will push the vehicle in a hard stop.

Keep that in mind and drive appropriately. Put as much weight as you can IN the zuke.

Reactions: mrchinup
1 - 7 of 7 Posts