Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm in the U.S.

I'm looking at a 1991 Suzuki Alto Works RS-X with only 50,000 km's for $5,500 USD.

One of the problems is a small valve cover gasket leak. I've been reading that on the DOHC F6A engines, the timing belt has to come off in order to take off the valve covers.

I also don't know where to get parts. I'm pretty mechanically savvy... but with that being said am I an idiot for considering this?

·
Super Moderator
12,182 Posts
Hello. I'm in the U.S.

<SNIP>

I also don't know where to get parts. I'm pretty mechanically savvy... but with that being said am I an idiot for considering this?
To answer your question - yes - and - no. No, you're not an idiot, because you're sufficiently smart that you've recognized that sourcing parts is likely to be an issue, yes, because you're still considering buying the vehicle, even knowing that sourcing parts is likely to be an issue.

Part availability is one of the first things I consider when purchasing a vehicle, not every one approaches the purchase this way, and I like to think that few US residents do - one reason being that part availability for cars built for the US market is generally very good - you go down to Autozone or NAPA and they look up the vehicle, order the part and you have it one or two days later.

Outside of the US it is not done this way.

There are a growing number of on-line parts suppliers - megazip is one - who have sites where you can enter the frame/chassis/VIN number and look up parts and purchase them, but be ready to pay the price - they are not going to be cheap.

I had an Alto back around 91/92 - SB308 four door - it wasn't a bad little car, very economical, easy to park, ideal city car, but I can't see myself hungering for one enough to accept the frustrations of hunting down parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts