Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My mate is going to buy a 1985 Suzuki Sierra, was just wondering if there is any major issues to look for. Like rust in the subframe in a particular spot or a known problem with wheel bearings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I've heard and noticed in older model sierra's, check for rust in all the usual places, door frames, underbelly, floor etc. but pay attention to door hinges and wiper blade holders as from what I've heard they are odd spots that only get noticed when it's too late.

Also check for excessive oil usage or leaks, all the pre 1990 sierra's I know have had some sort of oil issue (but all easily fixed).

And before I forget, in my sierra (1995) I noticed rust in the battery bay (I'm guessing from battery gases or acid or something) and around the area, that could be an issue in older models too. That's all I know about however, some of the more experienced people might know of some more technical stuff to watch out for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im no expert but i just bought one off ebay without looking at it. sounds crazy and it was. the problems that we found to date were,

*gear box seal was broken and no oil in the gear box(i drove this 600ks home after buying. lol)

*Carby needed to be rebuilt

*Had to replace quite a few hoses

* Thermostat was shot

*Fuel pump was stuffed

*starter motor is having major issues

*Am still having issues with getting hot(am looking to the radiator next)

*Accelerator pump was stuffed

*Varius gaskets replaced

*Unijoint was replaced

Mine doesnt have any rust, and most of this was easy to fix, im lucky a mate is good at working on cars and suzi's especially. it sounds like a bit but i still wouldnt change my car for anything in the world. hope you pick one up and have heaps of fun mate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You are right on all counts. So check the oil in the engine, tranny, the diffs and gear box. Also look for leaks by the distributer, and the dip stick: o rings go there and its a easy fix. Make sure you put into 4WD and see how it shifts, again a easy fix. Start the vehicle on choke and see how it starts and idles, also fiddle with the main butterfly shaft and look for play, this is first part to go on the carb. Check also for idle up when you switch on the lights or the blower. Run the vehicle and shift through all the gears noting any clunk sounds on shifting, u joint issues.

If you buy it change all the oil engine , gear box, diff etc. Also change the timing belt. She is good vehicle and if you take care of her she wont let you down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts