Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have an '04 Forenza, and the thermostat is causing my check engine light to go on. I just got laid off and don't have the $150 the dealer wants for the thermostat/housing part. Anybody know how else to maybe get around it? The car is due for inspection and I was told it will fail as of right now cue to the thermostat. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
i'm looking for a cheaper alternative also, I vaguely remeber hearing something a while back about being able to just replace the internals of our thermostat instead of the entire thing.

Can anyone help us out here?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem, after going to autozone and buying the thermostate they say is for a forenza and pulling the houseing off i quickly realized they are wrong. I looked all over the place for about 2 weeks for the internals only and they do not sell them new, you need to buy the entire housing/thermostat from suzuki only, no aftermarket place, at least none that I spoke to can get one. I did not check one place which actually usually has suzuki parts in stock for CHEAP, it is rockauto.com. I have gotten a lot of things from them for less then anywhere and there customer service was AMAZING. I got a new o2 sensor from them which was out of stock but the website showed it in stock so they called me, gave me the more expensive version for the same price, bumped my shipping up to next day also for free.

And no I do not work for them just think they are great for suzuki owners looking for something other then going to the factory for parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah no problem, i know how much of a pain in the butt it can be trying to find parts for a forenza and this place saves so many head aches figured i should pass it on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thermostat AVAILABLE for Forenza & Reno - alternative to dealer/factory parts

I understand your frustration with the thermostat. Was having the hardest time finding a replacement thermostat for my 2006 Forenza, and refused to go to the dealer and pay $116 for thermostat, which is prone to failure anyway. Kept getting a P0128 Check Engine Code all last winter and the car ran too cold often and I had very little cabin heat on certain days. Knew I needed to replace the thermostat, but didn't want to put the same factory garbage back in the car.

This ought to help fellow Forenza & Reno owners. I actually have high-quality thermostats in stock, mfg'd by an OE & aftermarket mfg. (made in Germany). These are much higher quality than the GM/Suzuki ones, which are prone to sticking open. It is a complete thermostat/housing/& gasket assy. Dealer cost for parts alone is $116.91. These are available for only $30.95/set. See: eBay item #11044976686
Suzuki Forenza & Reno Thermostat, Housing & Gasket:eBay Motors (item 110449766986 end time Nov-23-09 20:16:26 PST)

FYI - there is also a 180deg. thermostat version available (much more difficult to obtain). I know some people were looking for a colder version than factory. These are only $45. Hope this helps save a trip to the dealer and saves everyone some $ & frustration.

Unfortunately, you can't just replace the thermostat internals / mechanism. Comes complete and installed in a new aluminum housing.

I also have polished stainless steel hex bolts to replace the factory reverse-torx bolts - won't have to use special tools to remove again, and these won't ever rust or snap inside the engine block.

Ken

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I was looking for colder thermostats on ebay and came across kenbradley's posting. I was looking for the 180 degree version which he did not have in stock. He spent some time and trouble to try to source them out for me, and has very good communication and customer service. I would highly reccomend buying from him if you are looking for thermostats!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was looking for colder thermostats on ebay and came across kenbradley's posting. I was looking for the 180 degree version which he did not have in stock. He spent some time and trouble to try to source them out for me, and has very good communication and customer service. I would highly reccomend buying from him if you are looking for thermostats!
would the 180 degree thermostat give the engine better mpg's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thermostat temp vs. mpg

A stuck open or colder thermostat can indeed cause significantly lower mpg. I actually noticed a substantial drop in mpg last Winter when my thermostat was hanging open. I have a 5-spd M/T 2006 Forenza and was barely getting 20-21mpg when I was having the problem. When the thermostat was working as it should, I typically get 27-29mpg. It was a significantly noticeable drop in mpg.

This is due mainly to the engine thinking it is still running in "warm-up" mode, and the engine stays in "open loop mode" longer, not providing the optimium air/fuel mixture & timing for economy that it would at normal operating temperatures. The car essentially runs too rich. If the car stays too cool for too long (as with a stuck open or missing thermostat), you get the P0128 "check engine" code.

A 180 deg. thermostat operating correctly will probably not cause that problem, but I would think there 'may' be a very slight decrease in mpg and your cabin heat will be significantly reduced in the Winter (depending on where you live, that could be a real issue) - my car was miserably cold at times last Winter when the thermostat was sticking.

For some applications & for warmer climates, the 180 deg. thermostat is probably ideal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts