Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on and I was by auto zone so I pulled in and got the code, he said it was something to do with the radiator coolent? Well my enging heat gauge never goes up to half way even when I drive all day.. So could it be something with the thermostat?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It would help if you knew which code exactly it was. It sounds like it could be a partially stuck open thermostat letting coolant constantly flow through the radiator, even when its not hot enough.

I had a stuck open thermostat and it eventually gave code P0128. I replaced the thermostat and everything was good.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, These covered by warranty by chance? If not how much for one about? And kinky it's been about 32 degrees here for awhile until yesterday when it got up to 42 but no change in temp. display

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Cool, These covered by warranty by chance? If not how much for one about? And kinky it's been about 32 degrees here for awhile until yesterday when it got up to 42 but no change in temp. display
In the day when you driving allot?

Then I wouldn't worry about the engine not warming up so much but I would with the CEL. When it's 45 and below my car has trouble warming up. I have an upgraded radiator but still I would have to really really try to get the car to warm up in 32 degree weather. It'd get 1/4 without too much trouble but unless I was constantly hitting higher rpms it wouldn't stay any higher.

As ex3t said it's probably stuck open...that happens all the time with all makes/models. The cooler thermostats are going to be $99 at most...I'm ordering them as soon as I run mine for a little while just to be sure. It's from a good company and there isn't much that can go wrong but I'd like to be sure.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the day when you driving allot?

Then I wouldn't worry about the engine not warming up so much but I would with the CEL. When it's 45 and below my car has trouble warming up. I have an upgraded radiator but still I would have to really really try to get the car to warm up in 32 degree weather. It'd get 1/4 without too much trouble but unless I was constantly hitting higher rpms it wouldn't stay any higher.

As ex3t said it's probably stuck open...that happens all the time with all makes/models. The cooler thermostats are going to be $99 at most...I'm ordering them as soon as I run mine for a little while just to be sure. It's from a good company and there isn't much that can go wrong but I'd like to be sure.

But wouldnt a thermostat like that be more for a high output engine? I mean I dont have any power upgrades besides a intake... Ive heard good and bad things about them... Keeps it cooler thus more power wich makes since yet, I hear it can also keep the car from warming up thus bad heat so on.. What you think?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
But wouldnt a thermostat like that be more for a high output engine? I mean I dont have any power upgrades besides a intake... Ive heard good and bad things about them... Keeps it cooler thus more power wich makes since yet, I hear it can also keep the car from warming up thus bad heat so on.. What you think?
In all honesty I couldn't tell you. There are so many mixed feelings about it that I haven't found any good info except one thing. This thermostat is supposed to warm the car up quicker due to better flowing capabilitys. So that being said I don't see any harm done by running only 10* cooler since it doesn't take along time to warm up. I'd also imagine that if it indeed does warm up faster, or at least on par with OEM that it's a pretty decent mod and should have some gains. I know I can tell a difference in power when my cars 1/4 on the temp gauge compared to driving around for awhile and being at full operating temperature.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know for a fact its the thermo stat now cuz I have been driving around for three hours and all the suddon on the second hour it dropped from just under half to right on a quarter but I did notice a postive bump in gas mileage strange enough lol.. I dont think I will buying one of these colder running thermo's tho because the heat sucks ass when its that old and ohio gets cold..

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I dont think I will buying one of these colder running thermo's tho because the heat sucks ass when its that old and ohio gets cold..
Thats cool. I just remembered, I have two factory ones if you're intrested. One with only 4k miles, the other with 82k. They both seamed to work fine when I removed them. I'm looking for $150 shipped for the 4k one and anything for the 82k. If that isn't a good deal let me know cause I have no idea what they are new...I'm just guessing they're expensive as hell.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats cool. I just remembered, I have two factory ones if you're intrested. One with only 4k miles, the other with 82k. They both seamed to work fine when I removed them. I'm looking for $150 shipped for the 4k one and anything for the 82k. If that isn't a good deal let me know cause I have no idea what they are new...I'm just guessing they're expensive as hell.

That pricy eh? I havent looked around yet, but I didnt expect to pay that much... I figured they'd be like 70 tops.. but I guessed wrong

1 - 18 of 18 Posts