Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here! In Australia.
We have a 2.4 Vitara 2012. It is running hot and first thing I’ve noticed is that the thermo fans do not come on unless AC is on.
Otherwise even when ECU is seeing 100 Celsius they don’t start.
Is this a common problem?
There’s a couple of things I need;
  • wiring diagram for these?
  • is there an OBD app that can see when ecu requests fan startup?
Switching on AC starts them on I think low speed. There are 3 fan relays on left side, I’ve swapped them around and it still acts the same.
There is a fuse block near the battery but I cannot for the life of me see how to unclip it even with battery out. I’m assuming these are the fan fuses, but they look ok.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
the relays in the box by the ecm, left headlight, theres 3 in there and they definitely control the fans as well, you have said you have checked them, good. Fuse box by battery is nit serviceable, if anything goes in that one its serious and has 3 x 0's in the price. And that's not counting the c column. Last one i priced was over 1200 as its got the current sense fir the charging built into it and fuses are welded in.
Check main fuse box by booster, not sure but there might be a fuse and relay in there for the fan control from memory
First fan should come on at 96 C
I don't have access to the wiring diagram at present but ac turns both fans on at high speed.
Fans are ecm controlled, main fan on st 96, second on at 100 both on when compressor clutches in.

Not sure if the factory tool can see fans commanded on, never looked.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
96 and 100 seem quite hot for the fans to come on?
Well, compared to what? You only have the ETC sensor to determine when the fans come on and here's the spec for it from the 2.0 engine which may the same as the 2.4.

It's on the back of the engine on the coolant pipe manifold, not easy to reach.
Font Line Parallel Circle Rectangle

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Thanks mate, I cant find wiring drawings in the Media fire page.unfortunately.
96 and 100 seem quite hot for the fans to come on?
Not really, mine runs at 95 to 96 round town, 96 open road
First fan cycles in traffic at 96
Second fan comes on at just over 100
remember, the second fan us designed to come on if the car senses the first fan isn't coping, or when the ac is on for added air flow thru the ac condenser
Boiling point with correctly mixed coolant and good radiator cap is 122
106 without pressure with a 50% mix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts