Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after some digging and head shaking (mostly to the "what's your top speed" forum), I've decided to go ahead and ask something that's been bugging me since I first bought my tracker. Red line at 6500 rpm?!?!?! Now I understand I'm used to V-8's and diesels but at 4200 she sounds like the hamsters are about to have a stroke, is it really capable of handling 5k+?

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
They can handle it but...

only if they are in shape! ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The engine likes it. Like a hamster wheel on crack.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The rev limiter will cut in at around 6800RPM so you can't rev it too high. In reality you will be some way on the back end of the power curve by then so if you want maximum acceleration then so you really need to change up at 5300RPM with an 8V or 5600RPM with a 16V.
For cruising the 16V makes max. torque at 4000rpm, the 8V makes it at 3000RPM.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
huh wow i dunno small engines have always kinda scared me at higher rpm I've never got her over 4200 lol that was with the automatic in it just to get out of the way of a cotton truck since I put the standard in it best she's seen is 3800 lol maybe I'll push her a lil once I get the head gasket changed out (losing a lil compression between 2 and 3) thanks for the info though. Anyone know for sure where the power band is on theses lil 16v's

·
Registered
157 Posts
Small Japanese engines are real rev happy. A Japanese engine doing 6, 7, 8, or 9,000 RPM isn't unusual. Some engines are just made for it. 4 cylinder motorcycle engines will do 14,000 RPM. This year's Formula One engines are 1.6L, V6 turbo engines that are limited to 15,000 RPM but still crank out 600 HP before the extra 120 from the energy recovery system. Look here.

The engines in these cars can take it. Every once in a while I'll bring mine up to redline in 1st and 2nd in traffic for the extra pep and to help keep the heads clean. These engines like to be above 3k RPM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts