Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pros and cons of having CAT, 96' Sidekick Sport 1.8l?? The reason I ask is because the cat starts corroded. Do I need to find one to replace or do I need to put the strait pipe in place of it?? So far I have never seen the code related to this cat!! Nobody inspects the smog here.

·
Super Moderator
23,846 Posts
While I may be wrong, the only code that I would know of at the cat would be the code for the rear O2 sensor that is at the cat, that compares exhaust values with the O2 that is on the exhaust manifold. Frankly, I’ve been driving without a cat for about 15 years, with no issues. I just have a muffler on the car.

·
Super Moderator
12,353 Posts
A 91 Tracker is a very different vehicle to a 96 Sidekick Sport.

First - and possibly most important - the 91 will be OBDi with a single O2 sensor to provide closed loop feedback to the EFI system, the 96 will be OBDii, and as such will have two O2 sensors, one for feedback and the other to monitor the cat efficiency - removing the cat will more than likely trigger a P0420 code.

On OBDi vehicles, removing the cat typically causes few problems, the exhaust note might be a little louder, a little more annoying, OBDii vehicles are not so forgiving.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I may be wrong, the only code that I would know of at the cat would be the code for the rear O2 sensor that is at the cat, that compares exhaust values with the O2 that is on the exhaust manifold. Frankly, I’ve been driving without a cat for about 15 years, with no issues. I just have a muffler on the car.
Thanks. Without running cat, do you get smell behind the car when at idle??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 91 Tracker is a very different vehicle to a 96 Sidekick Sport.

First - and possibly most important - the 91 will be OBDi with a single O2 sensor to provide closed loop feedback to the EFI system, the 96 will be OBDii, and as such will have two O2 sensors, one for feedback and the other to monitor the cat efficiency - removing the cat will more than likely trigger a P0420 code.

On OBDi vehicles, removing the cat typically causes few problems, the exhaust note might be a little louder, a little more annoying, OBDii vehicles are not so forgiving.
The car has never thrown any codes related to cat, but at idle the car gets smell when you stand behind the car!

·
Super Moderator
23,846 Posts
Like Fordem said, my car is quite different - I have the 8v, and there is always a bit of an exhaust smell when the engine first starts up. But this goes away within minutes. If you have no codes, it would appear that you are making your diagnosis only from the smell?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like Fordem said, my car is quite different - I have the 8v, and there is always a bit of an exhaust smell when the engine first starts up. But this goes away within minutes. If you have no codes, it would appear that you are making your diagnosis only from the smell?
Thanks. It is really very smelly, not within minutes may be more!!

·
Super Moderator
23,846 Posts
What kind of smell? Like rotten eggs? Like gas? Sweet smell like coolant? Like what?

·
Super Moderator
23,846 Posts
If it smells like gas burning, it may have nothing to do with the cat at all, but the engine running rich and dumping unburned fuel out the exhaust. A bad cat will normally smell like rotten eggs. It appears your issue is different.

·
Super Moderator
23,846 Posts
Look at your spark plug tips - are they black?

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
How do I know it is running rich??
You report vehicle is a US import 96 vintage...

Use a live data scanner and monitor the B1S1, and fuel trims at idle, 2000 and 3000 rpm... This will let you know if the engine is running to spec or rich...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You report vehicle is a US import 96 vintage...

Use a live data scanner and monitor the B1S1, and fuel trims at idle, 2000 and 3000 rpm... This will let you know if the engine is running to spec or rich...
Thanks. What figures are the spec??

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
The B1S1 should be actively switching .1 to .85, with no bias,

The fuel trims should remain less than 10 +/-, closer to 0 the best, monitored in graph mode is preferable

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look at your spark plug tips - are they black?
Thanks Bex. Will check that.
The B1S1 should be actively switching .1 to .85, with no bias,

The fuel trims should remain less than 10 +/-, closer to 0 the best, monitored in graph mode is preferable
Thanks again. My scan tool does not equipped with graph, just showing figures in steady or fluctuate!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is from my scan tool:
My BOSCH 1100 Live Data Plus scan tool showing at View Data at Idle

MIL STATUS (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) off

FUEL SYS 1 (Fuel System1 Loop Status) Open

FUEL SYS 2 (Fuel System2 Loop Status) N/A

CALC LOAD (%) (Calculated Engine Load) 3.1 – 5 not steady

COOLANT (*F) (Engine Coolant Temp) 210 steady

ST FTRM1 (%) (Short Term Fuel Trim1) 0.0 steady

LT FTRM1 (%) (Long Term Fuel Trim1) -14.8

ENG SPEED (RMP) (Engine RPM) 775-800-825 not steady

VEH SPEED (MPH) (Vehicle Speed) 0

IGN ADV (*) (Timing Advance) 8.0 steady

IAT (*F) (Intake Air Temp) 111

MAF (LB/M) (Mass Air Flow) 0.38-39-40-41 not steady

ABSLT TPS (%) (Absolute Throttle Position) 0.0 steady

O2S11 (V) (O2 Sensor Concentration Bank1 Sensor1, Bank2 Sensor1) 0.140-150-160 not steady

ST FTRM11 (%) (Short Term Fuel Trim1) 0.0 steady

O2S12 (V) (O2 Sensor Concentration Bank1 Sensor2, Bank2 Sensor2) 0.310-320 not steady

OBD2 STAT (OBD Status) CA

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Since I have this scan tool three years ago, I have gotten rid of all engine codes. It is for the first time the car runs without codes. The TPS codes, for example, had triggered many other codes of the auto tran. Most of the time it is just the poor electrical connection or contact (Pins and couplers) was found. So far no new sensors have been replaced after more than twenty years. They are all still the OEM Suzuki sensors including the fuel pump, the trick is to keep the gas at full most of the time.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts