Suzuki Forums banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I think I'm setting a record for the slowest engine rebuild ever. But I did make some progress today. Moved the engine stand into the man cave (heated) so I can keep tinkering. Today's project was replacing all the pistons, rings, and new connecting rod.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I can see a problem, a couple of pistons are missing :p

good job on the rebuild, big job but I find it relaxing in a warped sort of a way

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Yeah, I like tinkering, so this is my relaxation. Obviously I'm not in a hurry.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Now that it's warm enough to work in the shop again (shop is where the parts washer is located), I've been making a bit of progress lately. The heads have been completely disassembled, and the first one is back from the machine shop. I had them try their dip tank for cleaning it, and it turned out OK. Not perfect, but a helluva lot better than I could have done with my parts washer and scrubbing. I asked them to only clean, and I'll work on measuring everything before I go forward with any more work on the heads. Once I verify they are good then I'll start lapping the valves.
I also dropped the valve covers off so they can soak for a while, hoping to avoid the oil burning issue listed in the FAQ's. The big question is whether or not the grommet for the PCV valve will survive the cleaning. If it doesn't, I'll need to replace that. However, I can't seem to find the right diagram that shows the grommet. I can find the whole valve cover, but I'm sure there's a less expensive solution to that.

Also, the valve lifters are mostly all stuck. Of the 8 I've tried so far only 1 actually has the plunger motion they should have. So, unless I can get them freed up I'll be looking to replace all the lifters.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I now have everything back from the machine shop. Tonight I lapped all the valves on 1 head, then gave it a final cleaning. All it should need now is put back together. I'm hoping to get the other one all lapped and cleaned this weekend.
The valve covers really were bad, but the long soak in the shop's cleaner really did wonders at cleaning them up too. I'll still drill a couple extra drain holes, just to be sure I don't get the oil burning issue down the road.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Made some more progress after work this week. I can't for the life of me find more than 2 "knock pins" (the little tubes that align the heads to the block.) And, the FSM only shows one per head. But, it just seems really goofy that you can only align one end of each head. I'm open to suggestions here. I was very careful to bag and tag everything when I took it apart, and the holes in the block and head clearly show only one was there before. Anyone who has done head removal, please let me know what you found. Thanks!
I also pumped oil into all 24 new lifters. Good Lord that was an ordeal! I've had then soaking in oil for a few days hoping some would find its way inside. NOPE. So each individual lifter: squeeze one tiny little air bubble out, let one tiny drop of oil in..repeat 150 times or so until no more air comes out. Do it again 23 more times. Sheesh, they could have shipped them filled with oil, instead of just 4 to a bag with maybe 1/2 teaspoon of oil to keep corrosion off.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
lifters into a tin of oil round end up so hole is vertical and under the oil, 1/16" drill shank down hole in top, press down on non return ball, pump lifter 3-4 strokes until air stops coming out, let pressure off ball, job done. about 20 seconds a lifter if brand new, leave standing vertically in oil until assembly time.

and yep, only 1 locating dowel per head. Almost every hole on cam cover has one tho....why? damned if i can figure that out but suzuki had a reason.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Wow. If I'd have known the trick I'd have saved a few hours last night. Thanks for the info though!
They are all submerged in oil right now just waiting on me to install.
And totally agree on the cam caps, that's why I sort of thought there should be at least 2 per head.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
re-check them and make sure they are bled, saves having to listen to that little man with the hammer when you start it, and some never self bleed and keep tapping.

lift them out of the oil, keep vertical and squeeze between finger and thumb, any movement at all and its not bled properly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
So initially they wouldn't move at all. OK, just enough to blow a tiny (maybe 0.5mm across) bubble out when submerged. NOW, they move maybe 1/4", and with the hole vertical there is no air bubbles coming out. I'm a little confused about your statement that there shouldn't be any movement. I admit I don't know what's inside these style (I'm used to American V8's with 1 cam buried in the block). Are you saying they shouldn't have any movement if the top of the lifter (wide, flat surface) is pointing straight up? Isn't that movement required for the lifter to actually work as designed?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
So initially they wouldn't move at all. OK, just enough to blow a tiny (maybe 0.5mm across) bubble out when submerged. NOW, they move maybe 1/4", and with the hole vertical there is no air bubbles coming out. I'm a little confused about your statement that there shouldn't be any movement. I admit I don't know what's inside these style (I'm used to American V8's with 1 cam buried in the block). Are you saying they shouldn't have any movement if the top of the lifter (wide, flat surface) is pointing straight up? Isn't that movement required for the lifter to actually work as designed?
should be flat one end (block side, bottom) and have a "ball" end on the top

item 12 in the attached pic

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
ahh, its an H25, those ones will move until oil pressure comes up, then as they are swimming in oil they pump themselves up and take lash to zero. they aren't the pump up style like in the N32's.

My mistake, i thought it was a N32 for some reason, but the heads are different...Should have seen it..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Made a little more progress tonight.
Next up: cams and timing gear!

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Your up to cams, so I guess it's too late for my 2C on the knock pins.
I was puzzled too and used some copper tubing I had on hand and added an extra on each head.

My instant notification on posts seems to not work any more. I guess they tired of my replies.:lol:

Keep up the good work.
Oh, and on the oil leak, fifth time's the charm.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Thanks Don. I ended up putting the timing cover on the front, and used that to help with making sure all that stayed in alignment.
Oil leak...? It's just like a Harley, marking it's territory.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Thanks Don. I ended up putting the timing cover on the front, and used that to help with making sure all that stayed in alignment.
Oil leak...? It's just like a Harley, marking it's territory.

hang on , its japanese not 'murrican, it has no need to mark its territory, it KNOWS its better than everything else :p

heads usually only have 1 or 2 knock pins for alignment, bearing caps on head should all have pins. On V engines, i usually sit the intake runner in place with a couple of bolts at each end when doing the torque down just to make sure things end up square.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Progress is at a standstill awaiting funds and parts. I really need to get this finished, but I also have other projects that take up my time (kids, garden, boat, camping, another Goldwing...).

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Progress is at a standstill awaiting funds and parts. I really need to get this finished, but I also have other projects that take up my time (kids, garden, boat, camping, another Goldwing...).
sell the kids and the leadwing, burn the boat and concentrate on the 'zuke

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Well, 3 weeks later, I have at least a couple new parts. Maybe I'll be able to make some progress this weekend.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts