Suzuki Forums banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Finally got some more parts in, so the rebuild continues to progress. The crank is installed, and two pistons. I'll be doing a lot of cleaning before I can put the rest of the pistons in, lots of gunk built up.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
One more piston cleaned and installed tonight.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Theres your problem, its too clean...and its missing the factory pen marks saying each bolts tight.

looking good, keep the pics coming

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
This is what the pistons look like before cleaning:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Well, Murphy strikes again. I busted a ring trying to remove them from the next piston to be cleaned. So, I'm going to need a new set of rings. Trying to locate a set, anyone have a brand they've used that worked? Looks like I can get a set off fleabay for $36 (Domestic Gaskets is the name, who knows). I'll try NAPA tomorrow too, but they've been pretty spotty on getting parts for this.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Ugh...you intended to re-use your 128K old ring set? :eek:

NEVER a good idea. Add to that your reported early engine condition as found (in part)...

engine seized on the previous owner,... timing chain was definitely an issue... the main issue was that the oil pickup tube screen was completely plugged with sludge and crud

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Max,
I just measure with my fingernail. If it fits, then there's too much gap. So far none of them have failed the test.

Reactions: Donewrken

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
OK, OK calm down everyone. I'm kidding. Sheesh!

I'm using the FSM found at the top of the forum (actually, the earlier version since that one is for later serial numbers, but the clearance measurements are the same). Mitutoyo measuring tools. The machine shop measured all the bores on the block, and everything was in spec. The crank journals out-of-round measurements are right at the upper limit, but everything else is in spec. That includes the rods, with the exception of the one that bent and has been replaced. No machine work required on the bores (other than re-hone).
As for the pistons/rings, so far they've all been within spec. Actually, they've been at the lower end of the wear tolerances. So yes, I was intending to re-use the rings knowing that if I find one that's out of tolerance or close to becoming so that I'd have to go back and re-ring. I guess we'll agree to disagree that rings are automatically replaced regardless of actual wear condition. And, bottom line is this motor is getting new rings anyway. Rockauto is great for finding part numbers, but I find their prices+shipping costs to MT are usually greater than I can buy elsewhere. Not always, but most of the time.

I'm compiling a list of parts that I'll need for the next order, so far it has rings, water pump, oil pump and if I can find them the little coolant bypass hoses that go to each head.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Yup, #28 and 29. Last order from Monster I had those on the list but they couldn't get them for me at that time. I did get all new o-rings, but the hoses are proving difficult.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Interesting. The last time I looked on their website (Partsouq), they showed that as NLA.

I should clarify that the ones I was finding a month or so ago where just listings, and the didn't actually have any in stock.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Short update: I spend a few hours yesterday evening cleaning on the oil pan. Good lord that was nasty. I have a solvent tank parts washer, and with the nylon and brass brushes I may have been able to remove half the gunk that needs to get cleaned up. Probably will be working another few hours just on the pan.
I also got the new pistons/rings in the mail, so I'll be replacing all of that soon.
Today's project was fixing the oil leak in the kids' car (Oldsmobile). Had to R&R the lower intake to get to the area that was leaking. Not sure what happened on that one, I just did a top end rebuild last spring. Must not have gotten everything completely clean, it was leaking along the top of the block/intake manifold seam where GM does the bead of sealant trick. It's clean now!

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Short update: I spend a few hours yesterday evening cleaning on the oil pan. Good lord that was nasty. I have a solvent tank parts washer, and with the nylon and brass brushes I may have been able to remove half the gunk that needs to get cleaned up. Probably will be working another few hours just on the pan.
I also got the new pistons/rings in the mail, so I'll be replacing all of that soon.
Today's project was fixing the oil leak in the kids' car (Oldsmobile). Had to R&R the lower intake to get to the area that was leaking. Not sure what happened on that one, I just did a top end rebuild last spring. Must not have gotten everything completely clean, it was leaking along the top of the block/intake manifold seam where GM does the bead of sealant trick. It's clean now!
that PITA bit across the rear? and it leaks right where its has the kink to get round the dizzy? I hate GM for that design. I had a hell of a job getting the 350 block to manifold to seal up properly, I finally used motorcycle case sealer. No leaks....apart from rocker cover on right bank, timing chain cover crank seal and the oil filler cap.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Max,
I just measure with my fingernail. If it fits, then there's too much gap. So far none of them have failed the test.
go buy the next oversize ring set, gap them to fit the bore and use them, bit of extra tension on the rings that way :p

ok, ok, rough I know, but it got me 20,000 extra miles until I could afford a total rebore job on one of my cars.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
2013GV, yes, that exact place. They continued the practice on the little V6s, at least up to 2003. This weekend it's a '94, but a few years ago I had to do the LIMs on the '03 Pontiac, same design. On the '94, last spring I used "The Right Stuff" high quality FIPG from Napa, have always had good luck with that. For whatever reason it just didn't make a good seal that time. It also has few other weeps (oil pan, trans pan, timing cover-crank seal) but none of those are enough to warrant further repair. I changed the oil early October on the Olds, and last week she was already down a quart!

As for the Bazuki, I thought about upsizing the pistons and rings just to make sure my compression was good, no leaks that way right?! ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Bazuki motor is still on hold, while I continue fixing the other car. After giving the sealant 24 hrs to cure, I filled it back up with coolant, fired it up to warm up and burp the air out, and looked really good at the area that was leaking. Sure enough, more fresh oil. I think now that it's leaking around the distributor blanking plate. Of course, I have to remove everything I JUST removed/reinstalled to get to it. It would have been SO easy to do that while I was in there, but I never considered that it would be leaking from there. I've cleaned it all off as best I can with what little access there is and I'm going to run it one more time to try to confirm before I tear it down. Again. For the 4th time this year. Grrr....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Edit:
Turns out the oil pump drive (the bottom chunk of what used to be a distributor) is removable with the lower intake still in place. And after a little more searching apparently that a known source of oil leaks in the 60° V6s. Anyway, it's out and I'll pick a new seal tomorrow in town. Hopefully that cures the leak, and I can get back to putting the Bazuki motor back together!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Oil leak is officially fixed, yay. And for some reason I just haven't had a chance to get back on the Bazuki motor. Hunting season seems to do that. One more week of regular season, and we are going to try for another elk for the freezer.

I also got a new timing cover rather than trying to weld up the old one. Hoping maybe I'll get the motor finished by Christmas. Hey, it could happen!

81 - 100 of 130 Posts