Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ongoing and expanding amount of grrrrrrrr....sounds from the front. 4x4 in and out works OK, but found some play in the bearing for the driveshaft on the right side of the differential. Is it to believe that this causes the problems. And will this cause any damage to the differensial itself ? I`m not driving the car for the moment, dont want to cause any more damage.

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
If you're experiencing a grinding noise from the front differential with the car in motion, the probability of differential damage already having occurred is quite high - what you need to do is verify that the noise is coming from the differential, and having done that the next step is remove & inspect, followed by repair or replace.

Try jacking the front of the vehicle off of the ground and putting it on axle stands and rotating the wheels by hand it should be possible to determine at least the location of the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car is a Grand Vitara 2,0 petrol 1998 model. Will a front diff from a 2004 XL7 diesel fit ?

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
No - and before you start shopping around for a replacement I suggest you get it examined so you know what needs to be replaced - you don't want to be replacing an axle when the problem is a bearing or a CV joint.

Many people say front/rear differential when they mean front/rear axle, on this vehicle the differential is a part of the axle assembly, and that assembly includes what is known as the ring & pinion or sometimes crown & pinion - the gears that allow the power to be transmitted through 90*, on a 4WD vehicle the ring & pinion gear ratio needs to be matched front to rear, both axles must have the same ratio.

You need to confirm what ratio your car has and you'll need to make sure the replacement is the same ratio - as far as I know, you'll need an axle from another 1998~05 Grand Vitara with the same 2.0 engine, and the same transmission type - if your car is a manual transmission, it will most likely be a 4.875:1 ration, and in addition to the 2.0 with manual transmission, those gears were also used on the 1998~05 Grand Vitara with the 2.5 engine with automatic transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks for outfilling answers. I know a bit about this things, have been fixing my own cars since forever, But its my first Suzuki. had several land rovers before, but never experienced this kind of faults before. I will have my son i law ( he is a skilled mechanics) to look at it tomorrow :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the main problem : A worn out wheelbearing. never heard that kind of noise from a wheelbearing before.....but probably the cheapest thing to repair, and rather easy as well. Still have some issues with the drivetrain, but a change of bearing will sort things out for some time :cool: Th car has just 310000 km on the clock........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NOT ! Its not the wheelbearing. Replaced that, it only became worse. Raised the vehicle from the floor, spinning the wheels and had my son looking at it. There is a lot of play in the driveshaft where its going inside the hub. So its the hub itself or the driveshaft, Just have to dismantle it and see....:)

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
Have you been able to pinpoint the location of the noise? If you lie on the ground under the car on jackstands, with your head midway between the wheel & the differential and rotate the wheel is the noise heard from the left ear or the right ear? It might sound like a strange thing to do, but I've used it successfully to pinpoint a defective bearing.

There is a small support bearing (some vehicles have a bushing) in the knuckle that supports the CV axle - that might be a possibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you been able to pinpoint the location of the noise? If you lie on the ground under the car on jackstands, with your head midway between the wheel & the differential and rotate the wheel is the noise heard from the left ear or the right ear? It might sound like a strange thing to do, but I've used it successfully to pinpoint a defective bearing.

There is a small support bearing (some vehicles have a bushing) in the knuckle that supports the CV axle - that might be a possibility.
You are spot on, the support bearing is more or less totally gone !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts