Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have A 1988 Samurai It Has Two Sensors. One Of Them Has One
Wire. The Other Has Two Wires.why Is There Two Of Them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One Is On Front Of Engine The Under T/stat The Other Is
On The Passenger Side Under T/stat

·
Registered
616 Posts
temp sensors

The sender with one wire goes to the instrument cluster and drives the temperature meter.

The two-wire unit is part of the Engine Control Unit (ECU) sensor system.

Normally, someone might say something smart like "Your engine does not have a second sensor! What the heck are you taking about!!?!?"

Not me.

Under normal conditions, an '88 Samurai has only one temperature sensor mounted below the thermostat housing and sports a Hitachi carburetor. However, what you are describing is normally found on a the intake of a 1.6 engine or possibly a throttle-body-injected (non-carbureted) 1.3.

It is quite possible that someone has replaced the 1.3 with a 1.6 or has swapped out the Hitachi carburetor for the newer throttle body Injection system with the corresponding intake and ECU/wiring harness.

My bet is that you have 1.6 engine! That would be a GOOD THING!

The quickest way to tell is to look at the rear edge of the block on the exhaust side of the engine where the transmission bellhousing is attached.

You will see "1324 CM" for an '88 Samurai 1.3 or "1596 CM" for a 1.6 8 ro 16-valve Tracker/Sidekick engine. It may also say 1298 CM (or therabouts), which is the newer version (1989 and newer) of the 1.3 Samurai engine.

In any event, There is only one temperature sender on an '88 Samurai, I know 'cause I own one. :) There are 2 senders on a 1.6 engine - again - 'cause I own one.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
448 Posts
The sender with one wire goes to the instrument cluster and drives the temperature meter.

The two-wire unit is part of the Engine Control Unit (ECU) sensor system.

Normally, someone might say something smart like "Your engine does not have a second sensor! What the heck are you taking about!!?!?"

Not me.

Under normal conditions, an '88 Samurai has only one temperature sensor mounted below the thermostat housing and sports a Hitachi carburetor. However, what you are describing is normally found on a the intake of a 1.6 engine or possibly a throttle-body-injected (non-carbureted) 1.3.

It is quite possible that someone has replaced the 1.3 with a 1.6 or has swapped out the Hitachi carburetor for the newer throttle body Injection system with the corresponding intake and ECU/wiring harness.

My bet is that you have 1.6 engine! That would be a GOOD THING!

The quickest way to tell is to look at the rear edge of the block on the exhaust side of the engine where the transmission bellhousing is attached.

You will see "1324 CM" for an '88 Samurai 1.3 or "1596 CM" for a 1.6 8 ro 16-valve Tracker/Sidekick engine. It may also say 1298 CM (or therabouts), which is the newer version (1989 and newer) of the 1.3 Samurai engine.

In any event, There is only one temperature sender on an '88 Samurai, I know 'cause I own one. :) There are 2 senders on a 1.6 engine - again - 'cause I own one.

I hope that this helps!

Very informative, thanks Ack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts