1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
It depends on what you want to use it for.
I am using one to operate the radiator fan controller, it works well.

If you want it for sensor placement for the ECU or temp gauge it could be an issue if your thermostat fails.

I also have drilled and tapped it on the opposite side and installed an additional
sensor for a secondary temperature gauge. I used an NPT 1/8 inch tap without any problem.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have installed an additional sensor for a secondary temperature gauge. I used an NPT 1/8 inch tap without any problem.

Don

^_^

Thanks that's almost exactly what I wanted to know. My Celerio only has a warning light to let you know it has overheated and even that is hard to see. So I want to fit my own electric temp gauge. My main concern was if it is a good piece of kit.
At the moment the sender is waiting to be fitted into the adaptor once it arrives. Is it a straight forward job?

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
Pay CLOSE attention...

I am using one to operate the radiator fan controller, it works well.

If you want it for sensor placement for the ECU or temp gauge it could be an issue if your thermostat fails..
If a temperature sensor is mounted in the "radiator" circuit of the vehicle's cooling system, it will only provide usable data after the thermostat has opened and coolant is circulating. If the thermostat were to fail shut, the engine could overheat and the gauge would never show it.

The "straight forwardness" of the installation will vary from vehicle to vehicle - just cut the hose at a suitable point, remove an inch or so of hose, and install the adapter - how much simpler could it get?

Well - let's see.

Do you have a long enough hose that's straight enough - you need I'd say 3~4 inches of straight space? You really want to situate the temperature sensor on the "hot" side of the circuit, and on a vehicle like my 2.0 GV, the radiator top hose is maybe four inches long and curved, so, at least on my vehicle, no, it wouldn't be straight forward.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
It would be straightforward providing the sensor will fit the threads on the adapter.

I needed to drill and tap mine for the sensor used by the controller.

This is the second time I have used these, the other is on a tractor.

Be sure to run a ground wire and attach it with the included screw.

Don

^_^

On the other side is the one for the gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts