Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got a performance question:

As it stands now, about how much would it cost to get a forenza turbo'd? Also how long would it take and what mods *must* be done?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Click my name to check my old post. I think a turbo is a bad idea. Alot of mods need to be made in my opinion for this to happen. I am making a Supercharger install kit for a Procharger Supercharger. It is a true bolt on. No oil line to tap easy to take care of, And your car will still drive very well. But before i do that i will first offer a Wilwood big break kit. I think you should be able to stop before you go. I will also be making a mold from the interior silver trim. The mold will be for Carbon Fiber. They will fit like the factory installed them, And will be made of 100% carbon fiber. Not that stick on crap you get from SWT. I see performance as more than just going fast in a str8 line, So all of my product will be to make this car an all around performer. Also Tokico
Coil Overs are in the works. The products will be sold under Gothic Motorsports, And manufactured by GRP "Gothic Racing Performance"
I would also like to work with BMS on a little bolt on that will give our cars 1.3g's in the skid pad. Thats what the math says anyway.
I will keep everyone posted on the progress.....

Combat_medic said:
I've got a performance question:

As it stands now, about how much would it cost to get a forenza turbo'd? Also how long would it take and what mods *must* be done?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
turbo forenza.... not going to be easy unless you have the experience and knowledge to do the work yourself or know someone who does. There are no pre made kits that I know of, so its mostly going to have to be custom made. If you are doing it urself, then the timeline will depend on how much time you have to spend on it. As for a shop, kinda hard to say, depending on how busy they are....anywhere from 2 weeks - 2 months. Price..... count on $4000+ if you want quality and reliability. Supporting mods needed are probably a new stronger clutch and ARP connecting rod bolts as the factory ones snap (so I've heard).

edit: check out the Nitrous/Forced Induction forum on daewootech, lots of good information there. especially check out my threads about the turbo optra.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TTGOTH said:
I think a turbo is a bad idea. Alot of mods need to be made in my opinion for this to happen.
What? Supercharger is boosting the engine same as a turbo, so how would any less mods be needed? Granted it would be a much easier install if it was a bolt on kit. But you would still need the stronger clutch, con rod bolts, and some sort of engine/fuel management. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally in favor of aftermarket performance for this car and that would be awesome if you made a supercharger.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can run about 7 lbs of boost without upgrading th fuel system or rods and bolts. The clutch is weak, But if you dont drop it at 5000 rpm
it should last awhile. A turbo is alot of heat you WILL need an intercooler. And you still might overheat. A supercharger give you what you need when you need it, If your looking for 350 hp or 400 hp look for another car. I am also working on cam gears that will help with the boost, For every 100hp you add you should retard the timming by 1. So like i said this car can be an all around performer, But the driver needs to understand there is not 10 years of history to go back on like Honda.
200hp is a good mark for this car, Any more than that look to getting some internal work done first...Also it's not me making the supercharger, I am just making a way to install it to our cars. I picked Procharger because they are the best fit for us. No oil lines to deal with, no intercooler needed, And quiet.

exist3nce said:
What? Supercharger is boosting the engine same as a turbo, so how would any less mods be needed? Granted it would be a much easier install if it was a bolt on kit. But you would still need the stronger clutch, con rod bolts, and some sort of engine/fuel management. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally in favor of aftermarket performance for this car and that would be awesome if you made a supercharger.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TTGOTH said:
You can run about 7 lbs of boost without upgrading th fuel system or rods and bolts.

Have you checked out that link to daewootech.com ? there are quite a few people on there who strongly reccommend changing out the rod bolts on the U20SED before adding ANY boost. Specifically Tom and Chris (gsiturbo16v and [email protected]) I would agree the clutch is kinda optional, depends how you drive. I'm currently in the middle of my turbo project for my optra (its taking forever).... its on there too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i did see what they did to them, Kinda messy... But for what i want and for what i will build to be soldI will keep it modest. I think it's irresponsible for aftermarket manufactures to build and sell things that will just have you sitting on the side of the road. I am unsure of the short shifters, I tried to hold my shifter at a lower point and found that the arm rest was in the way. I think with some good thinking and me updating my CAD system i can come up with something than just cutting my stock one up. I am going to join the Daewoo site to try and find some more info on the history of oue engine. I was gonna do the turbo as well, but after my last Suzuki burning to the ground from heat I think i will stick with the supercharger. Also i am looking for some people in th Tampa Florida to help me on some things. LMK if you are in the area and would like to help.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
damn I would help you out for sure if I lived there.

yah look through that site, theres tons of good info there from people located accross the world.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tampa HA! I'm actually moving to Tampa at the end of July! Not sure what part though. I'll be heading out this weekend down there to check it out. we got a 4 day weekend because of the holidays and all.

·
Registered
261 Posts

This is a Whipple Twin Screw kit which is a little more pricey but a lot better unit than the procharger. the kit is for a PT Cruiser, so is comparable in size. $3889.95 + shipping. 8-9 psi of boost max.
For that money I can build up the engine, do a nice, clean, turbo and be running 15+ psi.

Don't get me wrong but I have looked into Supercharging this car and can tell you its a lot of money and you do have to up the fuel pressure to run much boost and superchargers do produce heat. Pure physics, fast moving parts will build up heat just from the friction from the air. So you should think about a cooling method if it gets warm where you live.

I believe a super charger is the better route but its not so easy on a fwd 4 cyl. Before I got into 4s we used to get a 350 small block from a chevy Truck spend $1000 on parts, throw it into a 2dr GM body and put a supercharger from a GM v6 on it. 10psi and race gas and you have a low 11s car for less than $3000. We are not dealing with carbed V8s though.

There is a factory Supercharger kit available for this car. They released a Lacetti Wtcc+R version in the UK that has 170 hp stock. You can buy the damn thing right out of the GM catalog and get it shipped to a dealership. Only problem is its $3400 just to get 44hp. If you turn up the boost you are changing the injectors, fuel regulator, fuel pump and using some sort of piggy back on the ecm.
Lastly you can't tune a supercharger they way you can a turbo. Get some race gas turn up the boost controller and hit the strip on the weekend. Turn it down run pump gas and get awsome mileage.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In temple terrace out by 301 and bush. I have a white reno, About to drop it 1.2". Back on the supercharger, I use to be into just going fast in a str8 line. After driving some priccy sports cars i found that it's much more fun to have good power and better grip and feel. So 177hp would be fine for me. I like the procharger set up because it's smaller then a screw type, And no oil lines are needed. True on the heat thing, But the only heat your getting is from the air being compressed, And some from the engine. Aturbo gets heat from everything and then some.
Then you need turbo timers boost cont. downpipes oil lines and sometimes water lines. It just seems like to much work for a car i drive with my wife and daughter in when we go to the park. Also the way this thing sucks gass, I think i can hit the 200hp mark without new injectors.

Tucubanito07 said:
TTGOTH where in tampa do you live and do you have a forenza????

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, Alot of them have freakin unmarked cars too.

So where's a good place to live in Tampa thats not to expensive but i wont have to carry my gun everywhere :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts