Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 samurai after a very short time running the teml would shoot up and off the gauge. i have replaced the entire coolant system on including the sending unit. And the gauge still goes up to hot just not as high as before. Wtf is goin on here

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
You have a shorted/ground on the circuit, replacing part before diagnosing will cost $$$ and not finalize any repair...

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
First verify the fauly, disconnect the ECT sensor and see if the gauge falls..

BTW, replacing the gauge will not fix a circuit issue..

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Ect doesn't control gauge. Single wire on temp sending unit does
gauge still uses an ECT ( Engine Coolant Temperature) sender, the fact its 1 wire is immaterial, its still a coolant sensor for the gauge, you have 2 ECT's on the car, one for the ECU and one for the gauge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unplugging the single wire sensor is the one that makes gauage drop. Just quoting hanes here ect is sensor that works in combo with temp and choke function

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Unplugging the single wire sensor is the one that makes gauage drop. Just quoting hanes here ect is sensor that works in combo with temp and choke function
Well that is one of you major mistakes, dont use Hanes or Chilton... they are just rags, not service manuals..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didnt i say i was quoting hanes manual. I dont damn know im trying to get it clear and makes sure facts r correct

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
theres your trouble, Haynes.

ECT stands for ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE and they come in multi wire, single wire and all sorts of variations.
the MULTI wire ones for the engine management, the SINGLE wire one is the gauge.

My advice is to Toss the haynes manual as far as you can.

Call it a sender if you want, its still an engine coolant temperature unit.

the single wire one controls the gauge, the multi wire one does engine control functions. if you unplug the single wire what does the gauge do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not disputing anything yall are saying. All i.mean is i have a temp sensor with 1 wire that if i unhook gauge falls and right beside it i have a 2 wire senser that plugs into harness. Supposedly thats the ect sensor. Right? And so ur saying that even if its wire dont run to gauge directly it can effect gauge?

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
What we are saying is the regardless of the number of wires or their function, they are all ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSORS...

Now on to your issue,
  • if you pull the connector off the single wire ECT sensor and the gauge falls, the sensor is grounding the circuit, remember NEW does not mean GOOD..
  • If you only have one ECT,(multiple wire), and the gauge falls when it is disconnected, then that sensor is also faulty...This is known as a combination sensor, connected to gauge and to the ECM...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i cant find a matching sensor with matching plug anywhere on internet. It has the factory white circle 2 wire plugs

·
Super Moderator
12,571 Posts
or one that doesn't match the gauge.

Ack's FAQ should have a manual for that vehicle with resistance values for the sensor at specific temperatures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts