Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I have a 1987 Samurai, All gauges are functioning except the temp gauge, I change the sender and nothing, I put the cable that goest to the sender on the negative of that battery and the gauge goes to maximum, I check with a fuse checker and the light turn on but sometimes it turns intermit end (rally fast flashing) . Any Idea how to fix it?:confused:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have all aftermarket gauges in mine and they were quite erratic until placed a ground strap between the engine block and firewall, in my experience erratic behavior from electrics is often a grounding issue. None of my factory gauges worked before I replaced them all with the aftermarket ones. It could very well be an incomplete ground between engine and body given the troubleshooting you have already done.

Make sure you post the fix once you find it.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
First question - did you use the correct sender? The sender must not only be physically correct, it also has to be electrically correct.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did you check wire continuity from gauge to sender.
Did it quit suddenly?
If it is wrong polarity it will not work.
Remember Suzuki uses a funny ground to positive configuration. Most switches are on the ground side.

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
Ummm - which Suzuki do you have that has a "ground to positive" connection?

I've been driving Suzukis for over three decades now and owned several, and every one of them had the battery negative connected to the chassis.

It's also not possible to reverse the polarity on the temperature gauge circuit - it uses a single wire from the gauge to the sensor and the engine block is used as the return.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not ground to positive...they usually put the on/off in/out switches on the ground wire not in the positive circuit...is that a little clearer.
Olden days British vehicles had reverse polarity..not what was meant here.
Maybe should have said the appliance has continuous power and the break is on the negative or ground side. Sorry for the confusing language Fordem.
Was trying to get the lad to search for the ground wire as well as the positive.
Meaning even if the circuit is 'live' (powered) the gauge may not be reading due to a break in the negative (ground) side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts