Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have owned a 2003 Suzuki Xl-7 2.7 4x4 Touring model since new. (It has the newer knob style controls for the A/C and heat which show "65-75-85" on the control knob for adjustment) I have always had an issue with the interior temperature control not functioning correctly. If you set the dial at the coolest "65" setting, it blows cold air as it is supposed to. When it decides it wants to work, when you click it up past the coldest setting, it slowly gains in temp. 80-90% of the time it hasn't worked properly and as soon as you turn it past that first click it will start blowing hot air. From that first click the whole way to the "85" there is not much change in temp, just heat, so I have to constantly flip it back and forth from too cold to too hot. Several times when the vehicle was new, I complained to the dealer in York Pa, and was told "working as designed" when I would pick it up. I knew it was not the case, but to their credit, the last time I remember picking it up it worked ok and then halfway home it started up again. Just recently, I was sick of the thing and decided to look up a fix online. I could not locate a diagram or breakdown of the parts list and figured it would be some type of door actuator or something under the dash which was malfunctioning and not moving a door to change the amount of hot and cold air flow. The only parts I can find are for the the newer GM made xl7's (2007-on). Apparently this was a fairly common problem for those, as there were others complaining about it.
Finding nothing else, I thought I would try a different dash control unit, and purchased a used control unit on ebay and hoped for the best. At first I thought I fixed it, but two days later it was doing the same thing.
Can anyone tell me where I can locate a diagram or part # which would control a hot to cold door actuator, or if there is one and how to get to it? I found a download repair manual for the 2002 model, but it has the older style dash control unit and mine is the first year for the "auto" controls. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Does the green LED light on the A/C control button sometimes flash? That is an indication of a fault in the climate control system.

IMHO it's the worst climate control system I've ever used. Mine has flashed codes since we bought it (3yrs old/ 49000km) but the A/C and heater still work.

I just don't look at the temperature scale and use it like a non climate control system - blue = cold, red = hot.... :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had the green light flash, except maybe one time in ten years and it never happened again. I'm thinking it was 6 or 7 years ago.
Sounds like yours works about the same way. The thing that ticks me off is that it sometimes seems to work and you can turn it anywhere between the 65 and 75 and it actually feels about what the temp feels like and each little click increases the temp. Most of the time its just like you said turning it back and forth from cold to hot.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think most of the electronics are contained inside the heater/ aircon/ fan/ vent control panel. I noticed there are some vents on one edge so I assume that would be where the temperature sensor would be?

Sometimes car manufacturers use little motorised fans to direct air over the sensor (which are of course prone to failing.) I do seem to recall there being a small diameter duct that fed into control panel from the rear- perhaps that is designed to help with air flow through the control panel so the temperature sensor gets correct readings? :confused:

I've yet to find the latter model XL-7 workshop manual online. That would help explain it all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
David,
Thanks for checking. I didn't notice a small fan or duct when I replaced the control unit, but I wasn't really looking. I actually took my controls apart when I replaced it because the used I got looked much worse on the outside than mine. When I switched the electronics, I did notice what i'm guessing was the small sensor that extended off towards the passenger side, and that lined up with a small vent under the right side of the center fake wood plastic piece. If you rub your finger under the right side of the controls where you remove the screws you can feel it.
The only thing else I found so far was on the Auto zone web site. If you put in "blend door actuator" it comes up with a diagram and tells you to remove the glove box to get to it, but there is no part they offer that I see to replace it. Maybe I will check and see what It looks like under there, and while i'm at it look at the filter again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.