Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88.5 Samurai is still tapping after I adjusted the valve lash to factory spec. With the plugs disconnected and the head off, I tried to start the car to see if there was oil coming through the galleries. There was none. Does this mean that the galleries are clogged? If so, how should I fix this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I mean valve cover off, not head off. The head gasket was not removed because I did not remove the head.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if there isn't any oil coming through, I can't see how your engine wouldn't be siezed up by now.

I had a tapping in my engine once. Couldn't find the problem after months of troubleshooting and adjustments and putting up with the noise, Took it in to have the engine gone over and turned out one of the valve guides had come loose and was ratteling. It was replaced and I havn't had an issue with it since.

definitely figgure out what is going on with your oil supply before you run it anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if there isn't any oil coming through, I can't see how your engine wouldn't be siezed up by now.

I had a tapping in my engine once. Couldn't find the problem after months of troubleshooting and adjustments and putting up with the noise, Took it in to have the engine gone over and turned out one of the valve guides had come loose and was ratteling. It was replaced and I havn't had an issue with it since.

definitely figgure out what is going on with your oil supply before you run it anymore.
It was a bit of hyperbole but there is oil coming through, just... not a lot. It's my understanding that the oil is supposed to spray the valve cover so it soaks the whole space. My engine just has a little leakage coming through. Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've never run mine with the valve cover off so I don't know what kind of oilers it has... hadn't really thought about it before. Some engines spray the oil as a fine mist over the cam area, while others use squirters to direct a stream of oil. There generally isn't al lot of oil being pumped through that area, but it should be enough to get on the parts and be splattered around if you're running without the valve cover. If you take the vehicle to your local quicki-lube style oil change garage, they can run a hot chem engine flush and clean your whole engine out. It sure couldn't hurt it any.

I used to have a VW with a 1.8L turbo. Because of the way it was designed, you needed to have the engine flushed every 9,000 miles to clear the oil squirters and the oil drain galleries or the oil would just collect in the upper valve covers and sit up there and cook instead of draining back down and through the engine and oil cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts