Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara. On the main tail lights, only the reverse light comes on. The brake and park lights are shown on the bumper lights (see photo attachment)
What I would like to do is to run a wire from the park/brake wire on the bumper so I can have the brake/park light shown on the main tail lights as well.
Is this possible?
And what is the name of the wire I need to get?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,687 Posts
The only way to do what you're attempting is to create your own harness and tie it into the original - Suzuki never wired it that way, so the parts are not available off the shelf.

·
Super Moderator
13,687 Posts
There were two styles of rear lights used, primarily as dictated by the legislation in the markets the vehicle were built for ...

#1 - the one you have, which puts the park, brake & turn signals in the bumper, and reverse and an optional rear fog (on the right side) in the body.

#2 - has no lights in the bumper and no rear fog option, so there are park, brake, reverse lights & turn signals in the body.

You can't buy a harness to do what you want because Suzuki never created it, you have to build it yourself.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Not so easy

I've had a look at this project on my GV. The job is fairly easy by bringing a wire through the bottom grommet under the where the jack sits. What I can't do is cut a hole with the correct notches to insert and turn the globe holder in the blank location. Can you follow this? You have to secure the globe in a hole that you have to prepare. If you find a way then please post a photo of your invention. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,687 Posts
It's really not that difficult to do, but, it's one of those things that you're not going to do by buying the parts and plugging it together, you're going to have to either get your hands dirty and build your own harnesses or pay someone else to do it.

My GV currently has both sets of lights fitted - park, brake & turn signals in the bumper - and - park, brake, turn signals & reverse in the body - I used lamp holders from some Toyota (have no idea which) and hand wired a harness that runs from right to left under the floor trim and then (if I remember correctly) ties into the original wiring on the left side (in the jack cavity) before it goes through the floor.

This was done for two reasons - the first is that my son-in-law, whilst driving behind me noted that it was quite easy to overlook the brake lights in the bumper and perhaps to not be immediately aware that I had braked because the lights in the body had not come on (the vehicle did not come from the factory with a third brake light - which has since been fitted).

The second reason is that at some point it is my intention to replace that plastic bumper with a steel rear bar with swing away tire and possibly jerry can holders, which would require the lamps to be removed/repositioned.

The catalyst into the rewiring of the lamps was a minor rear end shunt that took out the right side body lamp, and it turned out that a replacement in the red/white original fitting would cost me more than double the cost of a pair of the red/white/orange lamps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts