Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv posted about a strange noise before, high gear low revs e.g 3rd at 20 mph then putting your foot down. Loud grinding type noise. ( 1994 Jimny Sierra/Samurai sport 1.3i)

Well iv found some videos with the same problem;

YouTube - ‪waldronjs's Channel‬‏

The first video is where it is in 5th gear and neutral in t case, mine makes the exact same noise.

Again in the 2nd video it does it when he first changes gear briefly (as mine does)

What could it be and what is my best option? I use this as a daily driver. How hard are the t case rebuilds?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine sounds similar. When I flat Tow I start the Engine every time I stop and run it through all the gears W T/case in netutral hoping to circulate oil. I haven got a problem but is a little noisy I notice after a short 30 secs more or less it gets quieter. Just Wonderin

·
Registered
293 Posts
Using the same test of being in 5th gear with the t-case in neutral, i had a similar noise, but definitely not as loud.

When I torn my case down, I found the needle bearings on the counter-shaft not moving smoothly and felt like they were binding slightly with the counter-shaft gears in place. Replaced the shaft along with needle bearings and the noise went away.

The shaft looked fine and didn't appear to be be damaged, but replaced it since I didn't want to have to pull it again.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Out of curiosity, what kind of gear oil are you running in the t-case, and do you know if it has ever been flat-towed or every run low on oil?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since our questions are the same. Ill tell you mine has 80w 90w gl5 oil and has been extensively flat towed by previous owner ( Ive been told) I flat towed 1000 miles in the las 6 monthes

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'Firstsami' does yours do it when your driving too? Such as when the car judders (too high of a gear) it does it horrendously? Iv been looking for t-case rebuild kits in the UK but not found any yet -_-

·
Registered
293 Posts
The reason I asked if the trucks had been flat towed, is that mine had an estimated 200k miles on it when the transfer case noise was detected.

Bought a rebuild kit that contained bearings, seals, and gasket before tearing it down. Once the TC was a part, all the gears and bearing were perfect except for the caged needle bearings on the counter shaft. When turning the counter shaft gear by hand on the old bearings, it felt like they were out of round and would bind about every revolution.

Ordered a new counter shaft and needle bearings from lowrangeoffroad.com and that fixed the problem. Didn't even replace the other bearings as they seemed to be in real good shape. Just new seals and gaskets. Will save the other new bearings for when I replace the gears later on.

This might have been caused by a lack of lubrication, but after cracking the case and seeing everything, I am surprised that this doesn't get more mention as it looks like the needle bearings would be a high wear item. Maybe only those that use their trucks as a DD would even notice the noise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
'Firstsami' does yours do it when your driving too? Such as when the car judders (too high of a gear) it does it horrendously? Iv been looking for t-case rebuild kits in the UK but not found any yet -_-
Yes not "horribly" but noticeable. As for kits Dont these places thar sell do international sales? Also those needle bearings are often not included in a kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts