Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to castrol full synthetic oil in my 88 zuk.I was wondering if anyone else has and if there have been any problems?I had a buddy tell me today that I should not have done it because it will burn my rings up?????Any info will be welcome..:confused:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Synthetics can clean the engine out and can induce seal leaks as they clean deposits off of the seals. If the oil consumption goes up due to seal leaks, and you fail to keep it topped off, you may "burn up the rings" then, but the oil itself will do nothing of the sort. It does the same things as conventional oil, just a bit better.

This is not as much of a problem as it used to be, because the line between "conventional" and "synthetic" has been tightened up quite a bit.

"Synthetic" is more of a marketing term and a performance(of the oil) indicator than an indication of how the base stock is manufactured anymore. Your Castrol "Full Synthetic" is actually a conventional petroleum based oil that has been refined to a higher standard than oils not labeled synthetic. It is still a good oil though.

Personally, I run Renewable Lubricant's BioSyn, but I'm a bit of an oil nut...

·
Registered
193 Posts
There's a lot of mis-informatiion floating around about motor oil. You should do your own research. You might start with the wikipedia article at: Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
which states, in part:

"Synthetic base stocks ... are man-made and tailored to have a controlled molecular structure with predictable properties, unlike mineral base oils which are complex mixtures of naturally occurring hydrocarbons." (emphasis mine)

Although synthetic oils are considered superior to conventional oils, the longer oil change intervals often used with them have a disadvantage for me. By changing the oil, I get to drain out the accumulated impurities (& combustion by-products) along with it. I suppose I could test the oil, but it's simpler and more cost-effective for me to simply replace it more often. My Honda recommends 10K oil changes, but I've cut that into less than half, for _MY_ peace-of-mind. The motorhome gets changed every 2500, cause it's under constant heavy load. Synthetic oil is a regular part of my oil-change regimen.

Check out "bobistheoilguy.com" for a lot more information.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There's a lot of mis-informatiion floating around about motor oil.
"Synthetic base stocks ... are man-made and tailored to have a controlled molecular structure with predictable properties, unlike mineral base oils which are complex mixtures of naturally occurring hydrocarbons." (emphasis mine)
LOL, talk about misinformation.

I agree that the above definition of "synthetic base stocks" is correct, but the reality is that most "synthetic oils" use mineral base oils that have been refined to a higher spec.

Thankfully though, most oils labled "synthetic" actually do perform better than oils not labeled "synthetic."

Bobistheoilguy is a GREAT place to get educated on oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts