Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day-
I have a new to me 97 geo tracker 2 dr convertible with 67000 miles (auto trans, rarely in 4wd). Time to change the oil for the first time for me. We get 25mpg on the hiway now. Is it worth the extra $ to switch to synthetic oil to increase mpg?
How much (if any) will the mpg probably increase to?
Thanks for responses!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Hello semerm:

i use synthetic oils in both of my suzukis and i cannot say that i get better gas mileage, i think its more for better extreme cold starts and better stable viscosity maintenance at very hot temperatures, short of being a chemical engineer, my two cents,

94box.

·
Registered
138 Posts
very little but you will notice it more quiet with synthetic oil

my 79 F150 with 4.9L would get 15 mpg with dino oil 10w30 but try synthetic 10w30 it actual quiet and mpg was 16-17 mpg but it start leak oil due old gasket.

I am sure synthetic oil will help increase mpg little like 1 mpg but someone type claim got 5 mpg with synthetic oil in engine, transmission, diff, and transfer case

·
Registered
98 Posts
In my opinion synthetic oil doesn't make a large difference in mpg, but it does make a reasonable difference in engine wear and tear over the life of the vehicle. Synthetic oil doesn't break down like regular oil does and is a much better lubricant. I know some people are tired of me saying this but it doesn't matter what you put in or on your car that has a large effect on MPG, the one thing that makes the difference is how you drive.

Feather Toes = Good MPG
Lead Foot = Bad MPG

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
like it was said. Better protection for your engine but don't expect a large gas mileage increase. maybe 1 mpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any recomendet oil is well, only one remark: level of oil mast be near lower aperture of oil clearance gage.
It is minimal waste in engine. Don't forget periodically check it level only.
How much will the mpg probably increase to?
Any more significant, and more, then different oils.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Synthetic oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids which helps to prevent wear, keep an engine clean, flow easily, maintain viscosity, prevent rust and reduce friction.. It flows easier in cold weather. As for MPG there will no or very little changes..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts