Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im replacing the rear wheel bearings on my moms 2007 SX4 today, and Id like to know the right torque to use. Ive been on google for an hour trying to find it and Im coming up with nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
566 Posts
bearings

KOsbourne-- just curious!--How much did the replacement bearings cost you?? I dont see any aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'm curious, "What on earth happened to the wheel bearings" :confused:
I think you said "Rear" Eh?

I don't remember ever replacing wheel bearings on any car I've ever owned.
(I'm thinking back 50 years);)

I've repacked a few with new grease, a few times, over the years, but I've never replaced any. And that was just 'Preventive Maintenance'.

Just curious!

:cool:

PS: A little birdie just whispered in my ear that "Rock Auto" carries them at a fraction of what Suzuki wants for them. Give them a call.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Rear bearings aren't uncommon to fail on SX4 AWDs. Normally they wait till after the car is out of warranty though! Only thing that fails within warranty in the wheel speed sensor inside the assembly gets full of dirt and destroys itself.
I have one new OEM rear SX4 AWD bearing if anyone needs one let me know

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You would have to seal off the back of the bearing/around where the axle goes thru. It's more of a poor design then anything you can really do to prevent the problem. The FWS cars are sealed on the back - I'm assuming a different sensor was used in the AWD bearing due to the axle having to go thru the assembly.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I was back at work tonight (worked midnight-2am on an XL7)...anyways decided I'd snap a couple quick pictures. I apologize the quality sucks - my old Blackberry doesn't take that great of pictures. I have a much nicer phone but can't use it due to no 3G service at my house..I have a indefinate loaner phone till 3G is up...

Picture shows back of bearing where axle goes thru:

Next two pictures show the sensor pickup, and the brown/grainy part of the race that the sensor uses as a pickup (feels like fine sand paper). It would be very hard/impossible to seal the back off...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Pics look pretty good. Thanks for the time to show us that. I just have the front wheel drive but is good info to know. Later

·
Registered
566 Posts
bearing

Good pics, Jeff!!! ------ I see what you mean about the design! It looks like they need another oil seal over the opening you have shown. It looks like a major job just to clean that area. It also looks like a bad idea to high pressure around there! thanx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear bearings aren't uncommon to fail on SX4 AWDs. Normally they wait till after the car is out of warranty though! Only thing that fails within warranty in the wheel speed sensor inside the assembly gets full of dirt and destroys itself.
I have one new OEM rear SX4 AWD bearing if anyone needs one let me know
New to this forum and looking for a new rear bearing for my sx4 awd. Any chance you still have the one you mentioned?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had my front left wheel bearing replaced at about 80k miles on my 09 sport sedan under warranty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't remember ever replacing wheel bearings on any car I've ever owned.
(I'm thinking back 50 years);)

I've repacked a few with new grease, a few times, over the years, but I've never replaced any. And that was just 'Preventive Maintenance'.
I've had to do wheel bearing on my chevy Astro and my Subaru Legacy. In both cases, the bearings were sealed so you had no choice but to replace them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jeff..i have Suziki SX4 of 2006 automatic drive bought from Japan. I have difficulty finding the rear wheel bearing as its chassis number is different from the Suzuki Sx4 in Europe
Would you be in a position to know if the rear wheel bearing of Suzuki Sx4 are universal?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts