Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove an SX4 JLX automatic this week, it was a loaner while my wifes Aerio was in for a 50K service. I liked it very much, the drive was excellent, very european, tight, responsive etc. In short i would like one to replace my old dodge caravan. Problem is my wife has ambitions for us to get a modest camping trailer which would require towing. Suzuki indicate that none of their "unibody" vehicles are suitable for towing. I found out that Suzuki supply tow hitch kits for the Swift + in the UK so they are not really telling the whole truth here. I was told by a Suzuki sales rep that you can get tow hitches. So, if that is true, how could I establish the safe towing capacity with both braked and unbraked trailers?

I hope someone can help me out here because I like the car very much and the fuel economy is much better than say a Grand Vitara.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2600 lbs

The latest "Quick Reference" chart at my dealer shown 2600+ lbs towing capacity for the SX4 :cool:

That makes it Suzuki's highest towing capacity vehicle...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, concurs with the data on the UK website, 400Kg unbraked, 1200Kg, braked. What follows is the reply I just got from Suzuki Canada:

Thank you for contacting Suzuki Canada.

The SX-4 has not been rated for towing in the Canadian market. As such we recommend that this vehicle not be used as a tow vehicle.

Regards,

Customer Relations
Relations à la clientèle
(905) 889-2677 ext. 2254
SUZUKI CANADA INC.

So helpful, so I can tow in Europe, I can tow in North America but only up to the Canadian border!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aerio SX Hatchback owners are installing this hitch receiver.

So the question is with the similarities between Aerio SX and the SX4, will this hitch work? It is a class 1 receiver which is appropriate for the 400kg unbraked capability of the SX4. One Aerio owner mentions having to cut into the bumper to install. I'm going to call the company for some info. I'll let you know how I make out ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone finds out what hitch will work, please post to let me know. I really want to get a hitch to add a hitch mounted bike rack to our car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SX4 Hitch

My Suzuki dealer in Montreal told me that Suzuki now have a hitch available for the SX4, try following up with your local dealer. I looked on the Suzuki Canada website last week, there is still no mention of a hitch yet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Timsmith,

Who is your dealer?
Suzuki Canada does not offer or sell a hitch for the SX4.

If your dealer is telling you otherwise, they are making it up.

Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer is Suzuki Hymus in Dorval, Quebec. Give the sales manager Bob Forrest a call. He told me at a sales event on 22nd November, the details are still sketchy because he still did not know the official towing capacity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SX4 trailer hitch or not?? Where?

Yeah, a number and address/dealer name would be good, eh?

No, I'm not in Canada...in fact I'm in China and inquiring for an old fart in the Northwet:rolleyes: . He too has clambered into an SX4, loves it but read that NO TOW line in the brochure. He's a 80+ dirt bike dude who just restored a bike trailer and was towing it with a 5.7 Hemi PUp...overkill, eh? Anyway he knows it's past time to trade to something smaller but still utilitarian. An SX4 will be in his yard IF there's a hitch for his little railer trailer. Help??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pulling [email protected] Trailer?

This was just posted on a different forum:
A trailer hitch is now available for the SX4 - SX4 Forums

BTW, [email protected] offers a trailer with a GVWR of 1939 pounds and a hitch weight of no more than 154 pounds. As the linked hitch is rated for 2000 pounds GVWR / 200 pounds hitch weight, the etrailer.com hitch should be able to handle a [email protected] Note that, according to the [email protected] FAQ, brake wiring is not needed (I assume that taillight wiring is still needed).
That's exactly the trailer I have, a [email protected]. I've been pulling it with my Ford Focus SVT (170hp, 145lb-ft). I've been thinking of buying an SX4 MT Sportback (150hp, 140lb-ft) if it can pull the [email protected] at speed (70mph).

Is the [email protected] too much weight and drag? (The [email protected] has surge brakes)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
We've discussed trailer towing many times in this and the ClubSX4 forums.
In Australia, they provide a hitch for the SX4, but in the US they say to NOT try pulling a trailer.

But in real life, the guys who have put hitches on their SX4's have pulled all sorts of bike trailers, cargo trailer, etc. with no real problems.

Myself, if it's movable, I'll pull it.
I pull a big road drag that weighs in at over 600 pounds and probably puts more drag on the hitch than that.
Both U-Haul and other companies make hitches especially for the SX4.
Keep the tongue weight under 300 pounds and you should be ok.

I moved this bad boy for my neighbor with no problem whatsoever.

Just use a little common sense when pulling a trailer.

The stock brakes on the SX4 are designed to stop just the car. not a heavy trailer, so if you don't have trailer brakes, leave plenty of room for stopping.

:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts