Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post is meant to be informational and a discussion for people looking for info on the audio possibilities of the SX4.

The rear door panels are easily removed by removing a screw near the door handle and one in the arm rest. Pull the door panel off starting on the inside door jamb. The panel seems to over hang the door jamb making it easy to get a handle. Unclip the power window plug using a small flat head screw driver. Either 5.25 speakers or 6.5" will fit. Some 6.5's are too big however so make sure they will fit before purchase. Suzuki was nice enough to put a spot for a tweeter in each door panel so you can put two pair of component speakers in the SX4. Those speakers that will not fit might be adaptable using a 1" spacer ring available on ebay.

Quick edit. Be carefull of tweeter size. I have both front and rear door panels off now and both of my tweeters are a might too big. thus I must decide whether I want to modify the panel or buy new tweeters. Ugh!

Midrange size has become an issue as well. The front door does not have much room for a magnet. You can use a 1" spacer for 6.5" speakers. The Metra part No. is 82-4300.

Additionally, while looking on crutchfield, I found that Blaupunkt offers a wiring harness to add an amplifier to a stock system. I am not sure if the harness works with the SX4, however, crutchfield says that it does.

Link: Vehicle-specific Amp Cables at Crutchfield.com

Note that there is plenty of room behind the factory stereo for additional wiring. No antenna adapter is required for the SX4. The following wiring harness and installation kit are reported to work.

Dash kit Metra part no. 99-7954

Wiring harness Metra part no. 70-1721

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone has any questions regarding audio installation on the SX4 I would be more than happy to answer them. I have now been over, through and back over the car.

To give you an idea I installed a:

Pioneer Premier DEH-P490IB w/IPOD adapter
Sirius Satelite Radio
Rockford Fosgate 100.2
Rockford Fosgate 4080
2 Farad Cap
15" Cerwin Vega 15D4
Alpine 6.5" component speakers Rear Doors
Front Doors haven't decided.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to assume the front doors come of in the same way?

And one more quick question, what kind of faceplate adapter are you guys using for the aftermarket headunits. I wasn't able to come up with anything for this car in over a year. 2007 SX4 AWD.

Thanks!

--Adam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to assume the front doors come of in the same way?

And one more quick question, what kind of faceplate adapter are you guys using for the aftermarket headunits. I wasn't able to come up with anything for this car in over a year. 2007 SX4 AWD.

Thanks!

--Adam
The front door panels come off in the same way although the plug that goes into the power window and lock unit is a bit trickier than the rear doors. In addition there is a small trim piece, triangular in shape that needs to come off to. It is in the front corner right above where the tweeter grill is. no screws just pops off.

The kit is the same for the 2007 as 2008. They are available on ebay or you can search on the metra site at Metra Online

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need Amp help

HEY I am installing an amp and sub in my car and have everything ready to go but i need help with one thing... where can i find access to feed my power wire from the amp inside my car to the battery under the hood, and how do i access it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HEY I am installing an amp and sub in my car and have everything ready to go but i need help with one thing... where can i find access to feed my power wire from the amp inside my car to the battery under the hood, and how do i access it?
Mine is an 08 and I used a rubber grommet that is located on the passenger side. It is located, facing the car with the hood open, on the firewall about five inches down from the cowl seam on the passenger side. There are only a few wires going through it and it is a pretty large grommet made of relatively soft rubber. I reccomend using a utility knife to cut an X large enough to get the wire. Push the wiring through, about 12 inches worth. Then go around to the inside and feel around pretty high up in the dash and you should be able to pull it through the rest of the way. You shouldn't need to seel the grommet where you cut it, but you can if you like. Any type of silicon sealer should work.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
2008 SX4 Sport

This is some good stuff.

Is this information valid for the 08 SX4 Sport? Best Buy said that the speakers are 6 3/4" . I thought that sounded wrong, but then again, maybe Suzuki uses an odd size.

If 6 1/2 fits (with a 1" spacer) I will use those. I was thinking about buying some Alpine speakers (component kit with tweaters). From reading your post, maybe I should leave the tweeters alone.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is some good stuff.

Is this information valid for the 08 SX4 Sport? Best Buy said that the speakers are 6 3/4" . I thought that sounded wrong, but then again, maybe Suzuki uses an odd size.

If 6 1/2 fits (with a 1" spacer) I will use those. I was thinking about buying some Alpine speakers (component kit with tweaters). From reading your post, maybe I should leave the tweeters alone.

Thoughts??
First many cars including GM uses up to 6 3/4. The hole is 6 3/4. Most speakers that I have ever bought come with a mounting bracket that makes the 6 1/2 fit the 6 3/4 hole. However a spacer will probably be required depending upon mounting depth. There are some 6 3/4 speakers available.

Here is what I would do in the front. Get the 6 1/2 speakers see if they come with a mounting ring first, if they do, see if the depth is correct, if not get the 1 inch spacer attach the spacer to the included bracket and then the speaker. Best buy should have all of the accessories you need.

If you buy all of the stuff off ebay including the speakers, you will save yourself a small fortune. Best buy is way too expensive for installation accessories. The mounting holes are set up in a triangle. There are 3 mounting holes and you will need those little screw retainers to mount the speakers.

Hope this helps.

If you pay to have the tweeters installed, the installer should be able to figure out something, even though there isn't much room for the tweeter. i used that piece of metal that comes with most car stereos with all the little holes in it. They make great brackets because the metal is soft and you can bend it into all kinds of shapes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2008 SX4 Sport

Thanks for the quick response.

I would probaby buy all of the equipment and either do it myself with the help of a friend who has done some installing on his own car. It does not look all that tough to do. Best Buy wants some big bucks for installing. I was just using them for informational purposes. lol

If I go with the 6 1/2" Alpines, Front and Back (with tweeters), should I be installing and amp. as well. Recommendation on the amp.?? I have a Bazooka tube I was thinking of throwing in the trunk (if the speaker upgrade was not good enough). I was going to go with an Alpine head unit (and Sirius module) as well. Noticed that you went with Pioneer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The install is pretty easy except getting the speaker wiring into the door from the cabin. I ran the wire through the flex tubing where the factory wiring is.

The bazooka tubes are nice and easy to install and is enough bass for most people. Not me as you can see from my CV 15.

I may take a lot of heat over this but spending more than a couple hundred bucks on an amp for your set up is, frankly, a big waste of money so I reccommend the profile Profile AP740. Easy to install because of the wiring block, the built in crossovers, and they sound fine. Anyone that tells you to get an alpine amp, rockford, kenwood, and tells you that profile is crap probably has no real experience with them. The sound quality for most vehicles is fine as you are limited by the cabin setup and acoustics.

Alpine decks are fine and you will probably be happy with that. There is less difference in real world quality anymore unless you have the equipment to tune your stereo professionally. In addition, the dirty little secret is that music is of such varied recording quality, mixing etc that one song will sound great and the next will sound like crap. Nothing to do with the stereo or anyting like that.

I went with the pioneer because I got it cheap off ebay, it has front rear and sub selectable crossover and gain. comes with ipod cable and controls and a rear aux in for my sirius radio. I sold my sony to get the pioneer and it sounds different, not better or worse, just different. Again, so much of this is personal preference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although I probably should have done it myself (now that I have seen it done, it actually looks pretty easy), I had Circuit City do my install. This is what I put into it:

Pioneer DEHP4000UB head unit (I wanted the USB interface)
Pioneer GM6300F 4 Channel amp
4 Polk Audio DB6501 component speakers
1 Bazooka EL1019CPP (2 10" subs and a 300 watt mono-amp)

The trunk in the sport has a ton of room even after the sub box.

This stereo sounds awesome. You know it has a lot of base when you can't see through your rear view mirror. lol

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing wrong with paying to have it done. The deck is a nice choice, can't really complain about any of your choices. Glad it sounds good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what about using the stock stereo with some components in the front....FOCAL is what I would like to use......as far as the rear mid bass FOCALS is what I'd like to use.....my question is if I use the stock stereo with an amp and the speakers mentioned above....would that be ok and would I really be able to notice any differencein sound between stock and aftermarket head units?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Focals are nice, just make sure the midrange will fit. Since my original install, I bought a pair of cheap components and the midrange was a pain. Anyway, there are some differences between stock and aftermarket headunits. First, you will have to have a line level converter for the stock head unit as the stock does not have rca outs. No idea why OEMs do not add this. In addition, the line level converters sometimes add noise to the system. Second, Aftermarket units give more control over the system and have some nice ipod/iphone interface cables.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello i was just wondering if i install an aftermarket head unit if i would loose my stering weel controles
I know I'm kinda late, but there is a company called Peripheral Electronics that makes a device that will allow you to keep your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit.

Here's a link to one of their items: Peripheral Electronics

The site is kind of odd (doing a vehicle based search on the main page doesn't seem to work correctly), but they do have instructions on how to install these in an SX4.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's installed this, as I plan on doing it in the next week or so.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts