Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!
I have a little side gig renting out a few cars on Turo and Fluid, and I've been looking at adding a new "budget" model to my lineup. I have spotted a couple SX4s for sale pretty cheap (both the hatch and sedan models) and I've been trying to do a bit of research to see what kind of common problems to look for and how these cars do reliably in the long term.
A couple other Turo hosts that I know from a Facebook group have them, and they seem to get great utility out of them (I'm guessing due to a combination of the AWD and their kinda unique styling). But I just wanted to get some other outside info on what things I should be looking for if I go to take a look at one of them.
Just for reference, the cars I'm looking at are all around 100-125k mi.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Maybe everyone in the world knows what/where Turo and Fluid are...but not me. Location can have an impact on reliability: heat, salt, type of terrain, etc.....so ???....
Mileage is one thing, year model another, different transmissions, engines, rear diff seals, etc....
COme back with details ; relevant replies may follow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe everyone in the world knows what/where Turo and Fluid are...but not me. Location can have an impact on reliability: heat, salt, type of terrain, etc.....so ???....
Mileage is one thing, year model another, different transmissions, engines, rear diff seals, etc....
COme back with details ; relevant replies may follow.
Turo is a car-sharing platform that is available in most metropolitan areas (in the US and internationally), but I am in San Diego, so rust should be a pretty minimal issue unless the car spent most of its life near the beach. Weather here is pretty temperate year round (rarely get's above 85 or 90 deg F and rarely goes below 50 or 55 deg F). As for terrain, generally pretty hilly, but no real huge elevation gains unless going inland or over the grapevine north of L.A.
The SX4s I'm looking at are all in the 2009-2012 range, and I would be looking at only the automatic (CVT) models. FWD or AWD are both under consideration. I can handle doing pretty much all maintence items myself (have access to a lift and all at my work). So I'm not averse to doing some work to it if necessary, just not looking for a money pit.

·
Registered
882 Posts
2009 has conventional 4speed Automatic. CVT began in 2010...IMO, not to be abused. A few push belts have been reported as destroyed specially in more recent models .
DIffderential side seals have been improved following leakages but I do not know at what time; later versions can be retrofitted .
Overall and following very high mileage reports on forums, I think this is a quite reliable car. Mine...(ehhh..wife's) has very low mileage so not a reference.
And OK, San Diego, I know....been there a few times...Brown Field, etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2009 has conventional 4speed Automatic. CVT began in 2010...IMO, not to be abused. A few push belts have been reported as destroyed specially in more recent models .
DIffderential side seals have been improved following leakages but I do not know at what time; later versions can be retrofitted .
Overall and following very high mileage reports on forums, I think this is a quite reliable car. Mine...(ehhh..wife's) has very low mileage so not a reference.
And OK, San Diego, I know....been there a few times...Brown Field, etc...
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the 09s had a conventional trans, so I may look at those a little more if possible... I know CVTs can be very hit and miss with reliability depending on the car. Upon doing a little bit of research it looks like worst case scenario if I had to replace a transmission at some point they are not horribly expensive to get a low mileage used unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a used one. Are they supposed to 'feel' like super hot? It's my first fwd car with a transversal engine in a long time and the exhaust manifold is right at the front so it may be normal. But I find that the front stays like super hot, enough that the hood is sometimes too hot to touch for sometimes hours after driving it.
The temp gauge shows normal and looks functional.
Also the engine shudders a bit at idle whether in D or P or N or any gear. I dont think it's related to the transmission.
The car otherwise seems fine.
Automatic Sx4 2013 JA FWD with 144.000km in Québec (Montréal.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a used one. Are they supposed to 'feel' like super hot? It's my first fwd car with a transversal engine in a long time and the exhaust manifold is right at the front so it may be normal. But I find that the front stays like super hot, enough that the hood is sometimes too hot to touch for sometimes hours after driving it.
The temp gauge shows normal and looks functional.
Also the engine shudders a bit at idle whether in D or P or N or any gear. I dont think it's related to the transmission.
The car otherwise seems fine.
Automatic Sx4 2013 JA FWD with 144.000km in Québec (Montréal.)
Found - and fixed the issue last week-end but I don't want to highjack this thread so I'll create my own thread with explanation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts