Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2008 SX4 with 39,740 miles just went into the garage. It developed a noise in the front of the motor. We paid to have a idler pulley, belt tensioner and new belt put on. My wife picked it up on the way to work and when she got home said it was making the same noise. I took it back. I felt it was the AC clutch assembly. They now say it's internal at the upper front of the motor. The mechanic who listened to it thinks maybe a timing chain issue ? This has been primarily my wife's car. Never abused. The service manager says it is under power train warranty "if" Suzuki approves it. I told him that I could trade the car right now if he felt they wouldn't cover it, but if they tear it apart and the repair is denied, we have a problem. I had a Volkswagon dasher years ago. They tore the entire engine apart, then VW refused to fix it. The dealer wanted $2500 just to put it back together. I had to tow it out of their garage, then have a junk yard motor put in just to dump it and get any money out of it. We've owned a Suzuki Samari, Tracker, 2 Grand Vitara's, and this SX4. Out of the 5 this is the only one that's given us any issues. I hope I didn't make a mistake leaving it instead of just trading it. The saga begins.:wacko:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1st update

Initially dropped the SX4 off to the dealer Monday the 19th at 8:00 a.m.. I called on Friday the 23rd in the afternoon for a status. They sent a sample of the oil out for analysis at Suzuki's request. I used Pennzoil regular 5w30 for the first 10,000 miles at 5,000 mile or 6 month intervals. The dealer when we bought it said 7,500 mile intervals. After 10,000 miles, I switched to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic at the same change intervals. This service manager said synthetic oil is to slippery for this Suzuki engine, it doesn't stick to the parts ? I asked if I could get that in writing, as I would like to consult Pennzoil on this. No such luck. I have always used a genuine Suzuki oil filter purchased online, but their getting harder to find now. Anyway, I asked if I could get a time frame for the repair to be completed. He said they replaced the lower passenger seat under a recall ? What does that that have to do with a motor issue ? I expressed to him my wife has been a loyal Suzuki owner for over 20 years. He said in a round about way that since Suzuki no longer sells cars in the U.S., they aren't concerned with loyal customers ? I asked him where we are at in the process before Suzuki commits to repair the car so I can establish a time frame. It is costing us $165 a week to rent a car. He just said to expect to have the rental for awhile. Has anyone else gone through this ? We're thinking if by mid next week if the repair hasn't started we should just go get the car if it's drivable. This Suzuki dealer sells Hyundai's now. He wanted to give me a salespersons card Monday, but I don't think I'd buy from this dealer. We don't have much choice for Suzuki repairs. Dealers have closed up, none to choose from unless you drive for hours.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sorry for this annoyance..
The problem is that the exact source of that "noise" has not been identified. All the story about too slippery oil and the like is pure garbage. And timing chains are normally good for the life of the engine.
A better description of the noise would be helpful. A recording of the engine noise is so easy now with pradtically all still cameras that have a video mode: they record picture and sound and this file can be made available for all to listen to: that could help in providing any advise based on other's experience.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good ending

Got a call late Friday afternoon that the Suzuki was done. It was the service writer, and he couldn't elaborate on what was done to it, but said it was done. This dealer has been selling Suzuki motorcycles, atv's, and doing warranty work on the cars since converting from a all car dealership. He said the work order would be on the seat, and someone in the building would give me the keys ? Be there by 3 pm, as they close on Saturdays then. Wife dropped me off on the way to work. I was surprised 2 mechanics were working. They are swamped with warranty repairs, so they were allowed to pick some time on Saturday. One of them had repaired ours. He said it was the timing chain. A guide failed which allowed the chain to slap and did damage to other components. He changed everything, sprockets, all guides, he said everything to do with the chains was new. Suzuki covered it all. He had to pull the valve cover and pan. He said the motor is clean inside. I told him I've used Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil since 10,000 miles. The service writer said I shouldn't use it because it's to slippery. He said that oil with my usual purolator filter was fine. Suzuki recommends 7,500 miles or 6 months on conventional oil so he said I should stick with that using synthetic. We only put around 7,000 miles a year on it, so we could even consider changing the oil yearly and just the filter every 6 months and topping off the oil. I wish we would have dealt with him all along. Anyway, it's fixed and Suzuki covered it. He said he has changed timing chains on the SX4's. It's not a rare
occurrence. They had a recall on some models I guess but not the SX4.

·
Registered
398 Posts
He said he has changed timing chains on the SX4's. It's not a rare
occurrence. They had a recall on some models I guess but not the SX4.
AFAIK the problem with timing chains was well before the motor was used in SX4. I think it involved the tensioner getting an oil feed blocked if the oil was sludgy. The tensioner had the size of the oil feed hole changed.

From another forum
"Now with the Aerio , The J series engine have hydraulic timing chain tensioners which, on the early units were problematic, especially if the oil was not changed on schedule or the wrong oil filter was used and Suzuki redesigned the tensioners to combat the problem - the new tensioners would have been on production engines from around 2001,"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts