Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! As a Europe resident, we only get a 1.6l petrol version over here and a 1.9 diesel in some countries. The 1.6 is the M16 producing 107PS @ 5600rpm.

My question is, what are the specs of the USDM engine? I know it is a 2.0l producing 143PS but I cannot find the engine code and other very interesting specs like bore and stroke. Can someone help?

·
Registered
143 Posts
the US version has the J20A 2.0L petrol engine. it puts out around 143bhp and about 136 ft/lbs of torque. but thats at the engine, not the wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers!!!

I was looking for it as I was hoping it would be an M-series derivative and thus directly interchangeable to the M16 the Swift Sport has. But no luck there...

We get the J20 on the Vitara here, so it would be no biggy to find it, BUT, you also need a differend gearbox, custom axles and so on...

So it is very expensive.

I'll try to get an M18 then :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello MTI,

IMO buying/changing a complete engine just for a 200cc gain wouldn't be worth the effort involved let alone the expense of getting a good unit.
Tried all this kind of thing before with a different manufacturer's 2.5 (2494cc) increased to 2.7 (2709cc). Before and after difference didn't make sense. The car (1200kgs kerb weight with full fuel) still had no difference in repeated 30-70mph acceleration time, even though the dyno figures showed the 2.7 gave more low-down grunt. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello MTI,

IMO buying/changing a complete engine just for a 200cc gain wouldn't be worth the effort involved let alone the expense of getting a good unit.
Tied all this kind of thing before with a different manufacturers 2.5 (2494cc) increased to 2.7 (2709cc). before and after difference didn't make sense. The car (1200kgs kerb weight with full fuel) still had no difference in repeated 30-70mph acceleration time, even though the dyno figures showed the 2.7 gave more low-down grunt. :)
Yeah, just for the 200cc it does not worth it, but for the 400cc of the J20 it would.

Thing is, the J20 does not (as far as I know) change directly with the M16A, so it's more the bother than the actual gain.

And also, as far as the M18 conversion is concerned, I was thinking more in the lines of changing displacement on my stock engine than changing the engine altogether.

But, also this conversion is not easy. So, I'll go for more straightforward solutions. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts