Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post on the forums.

I have a good friend that is purchasing a SX4 JX model with front wheel drive (comes with 16" alloy wheels with 205/60R16 tires). She would like to get winter tires & steel rims on them since its starting to snow in Toronto, Canada. However, we're not sure what the bolt pattern is, can anyone help us?

Anyway, I did quite a lot of research on this vehicle & it seems to be a great car in terms of value, safety, quality and amenities. We chose the car over other vehicles such as the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, Mazda 3 and the Nissan Versa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snows

I just went through the same problem. Because its a new car, the tire shop I've dealt with for the last couple sets (Steelcase Tires in Markham) wasn't even sure the rim pattern, and they usually can name a bolt pattern and tire size off the top of their heads.

Their suggestion was to leave the car with them so that they could do a test fit on the rims to make sure that nothing rubbed or anything along that line.. I *believe* the pattern was 5x5 1/2, but I don't remember off the top of my head...

Winston

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help/suggestions guys. I use to work at Performance Improvements for several years so I can also name bolt patterns fairly quickly, however as you said, the car is brand new so there's no literature on it yet.

It's possible to measure the bolt pattern with the wheel off, but that's sort of a hassle. I'll tell my friend to test fit a 5x4.5" wheel at the shop where she gets them. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm curious about something related.

I, too would get a set of dedicated wheels and tires for snow. But, I was looking on TIRERACK and it said that this car has low air sensors in the wheels and it would be an extra $500 for the second set to have them installed.

Is this true, that there is an electronic air pressure sensing thing on this car? I didn't see any mention of it in the suzuki website.

Also, what would happen if you used wheels without them? Would there be a constant light on the dash or something?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where are you located supersnootz ? I can tell you that none of the Canadian models have the tire sensors and I assume that for the US at least the models with that traction control (TCS/ESP) have it, not sure about the other trims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in NY. I'll tell you what, all this technology (keyless this and that, tire pressure sensors, drive by wire, traction control, stability control, anti-lock brakes, etc.) scares me off.

Not to sound like my grandpa, but he was right. Just more stuff to inevetably go wrong. And you're powerless to fix it yourself.

I wish there was a nice little basic car without all these gizmos. But then again, I keep driving by the Suzuki dealership by my house because I'm absolutely intrigued by the SX4!

But back to the main point of my question. Does anyone know, let's say you use wheels and tires that don't have the pressure sensors... do you have dash lights, alarms or anything going off? Or is the whole system just disabled without the sensors? If I get this car I want a set of dedicated snows on wheels and don't want the tire pressure crap on them for another five bills.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe the US base+AWD will give you what you want... Althought I believe that your laws now mandate new cars to be equiped with the ESP/TCS thus the tire sensors too... In any case I invite you to take a look at this forum dedicated to the SX4 and it has a broader field of participants that will answer the question.

sx4club

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, the US TREAD (Thanks to Ford and Firestone) act requires full function on the TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system). So, that means that if you change rims you will have to replace the sensors. Otherwise you will have a fault code in the system and a light. Additionally, if you have safety inspections in your state, depending on the specific state you will not pass the inspection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
turboducati said:
Unfortunately, the US TREAD (Thanks to Ford and Firestone) act requires full function on the TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system). So, that means that if you change rims you will have to replace the sensors. Otherwise you will have a fault code in the system and a light. Additionally, if you have safety inspections in your state, depending on the specific state you will not pass the inspection.
thanks for the info. When did this law go into effect? My wife has a 2005 Accord that doens't feature this system.

Of course, the spare wheels and such without it will just be for snows so I won't have them on for the annual inspection.

Driving around with the light on won't cause any permanent damage, will it? So that when I put the original wheels back on the light will immediately go out, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
What size are the 15" tires?

TimMcCabe said:
Stock rim sizes are:

15x6J or 16x6J, Offset50

Tim
Do some of the Canadian models come with 15" steel wheels? What size tires are they equipped with? I'm looking for 15" snow wheels if they will fit on my US SX4. I'm thinking the 15" snow tires might be less expensive, and I need to know what 65 or 70 series tire might be the same height as the 205/60 R16's. What about 185/65 R15? Also, is there a common steel wheel that would have this bolt pattern and would be suitable to use, such as Toyota, etc. ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
dudeboy,

The 15" tire size in Canada is P195/65R15 and the steel wheels will fit the vehicles that came with 16" rims originally.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
I still haven't figured out the snow tires and wheels, and winter is almost over here! As soon as I get a chance I'm going to try on some Camry steel wheels from the early to mid 90's. I think they might work and should be easy to find. The 14" version may not clear the calipers - will have to see. I compared some 205/70 R14 tires with the 205/60 R16's today, and they look to be a closer match than the 195/65 R15's. The difference betwee the 15 inch and 16 inch sizes that I just mentioned makes me wonder how they both can be offered on the SX4 in Canada. It looks to me like the 15" is a lot smaller, and would cause an error in the odometer/speedometer unless they are allowing for it in the ECU software version. What size snow tires and wheels did anyone else end up using?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts