Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 sx4 all wheel drive with a cvt trans. got it cheap because of trans issues. It will drive but there is a lot of banging underneath and the trans seems to be grabing and releasing . almost like a broken center bearing on the drive shaft, but that checks out. anybody have a clue where to start diagnosing this? With the wheels off the ground, it will go up through all the manual mode gears and does seem to smooth out once everything is spinning. Maybe a shot transfer case?

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I would suspect that the CV belt is gasping it last breath.. Not repairable, except full rebuild..

·
Registered
851 Posts
WHat is the mileage? Can you verify the nature of the CVT fluid ?....making sure it is not red..it can happen that ignorant owners add/fill conventional transmission fluid which is a no-no....normally CVT fluid is an opaque green.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suspect that the CV belt is gasping it last breath.. Not repairable, except full rebuild..
You are probably right. When I bought it I figured I would have to get a used trans for it, but was hoping it was maybe a broken mount or a bad transfer case. The fluid is clear and looks clean on the dipstick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHat is the mileage? Can you verify the nature of the CVT fluid ?....making sure it is not red..it can happen that ignorant owners add/fill conventional transmission fluid which is a no-no....normally CVT fluid is an opaque green.
The car has 114000 on the clock. Shows no codes and the rest of the car is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
ahh, just replied to your other thread. See my reply there, I too suspect the CVT belt/spools or control solenoids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses. I will be tearing it down eventually. It's snowing right now. I wonder if you can get a rebuild kit for it. I can't seem to find a Haynes manual or much info on the Suzuki cvt. Just some pdf files on everything but the cvt.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I will be tearing it down eventually. It's snowing right now. I wonder if you can get a rebuild kit for it. I can't seem to find a Haynes manual or much info on the Suzuki cvt. Just some pdf files on everything but the cvt.
The Haynes would be as use full as toilet paper... as stated earlier, these transmissions are generally not DIY fixers...

·
Registered
851 Posts
CVT control is made by the computer that applies commands to oil pressure control solenoids..like this
However stepper motors are also used. I do not know for sure which mode is used on this specific CVT but the way I feel ratio changes seem to mimic stepper motor control...but this is just my perception.
Of course, control failure can lead to component failures....The suzuki CVT is made by Nissan Jatco

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Note that the Nisan CTV is known for destroying the drive belt and Nisan advises a factory replacement as opposed to any local repair..

·
Registered
851 Posts
Note that the Nisan CTV is known for destroying the drive belt ...
Ohhhh...I take notice. I had read it was common, well at least it happened more often ... with higher powered vehicles like the Murano ; however little small bangers seemed to survive. Wife's SX4 is driven very conservative, rarely above 4000 rpm and lower temperatures in my place might be an advantage. But this is a reminder.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2011 sx4 all wheel drive with a cvt trans. got it cheap because of trans issues. It will drive but there is a lot of banging underneath and the trans seems to be grabing and releasing . almost like a broken center bearing on the drive shaft, but that checks out. anybody have a clue where to start diagnosing this? With the wheels off the ground, it will go up through all the manual mode gears and does seem to smooth out once everything is spinning. Maybe a shot transfer case?
same here car was stopping , the root cause was the relays, get a tester in ebay and start testing one by one my had 4 relay failing, fuses other issue , them is wiring many people add alarm or led lights with out any knowledge about basic wiring and in my case rebuilt the headline wiring, them remove a alarm.
All electrical, them flush transmission fluid and now is working fine, need to repair suspension, will rebuild them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts