Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious - Has anyone converted a 2WD SX4 to 4WD (4Grip) :confused:

Rather than sell and start all over again with a 'new' car, I'm considering this conversion if it's possible...

Also, what modifications can then be done to make it a more capable offroader?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Two different questions, needs two different answers.

1. Trade the car for a 4WD. Trying to buy the parts to make a 2WD car a 4WD car would cost more than a new car.

2. For better off road handling, you might install a Lift Kit or larger wheels and be ready to drop off some tire pressure, for increased traction, even with street tires.

I have a 2WD, but go off road regularly. I installed better tires (the Kelly Explorer) and then drop my tire pressure to about 20 psi for max Traction.
I now go everywhere and do everything that I did with my SX4, AWD., with my new 2WD car and I get much better MPG.
4WD eats up a lot of gasoline!

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Unless you have access to a wrecked AWD SX4 from which you can "liberate" the required parts, the cost will be prohibitive, and as far as off roading goes - what do you define as "off road"?

Newcastle upon Tyne would be the UK, mild green laneing might be possible, anything more serious and you'll probably find yourself lacking ground clearance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone :)

Re the conversion, I did have secondhand parts in mind, but if the 2WD is just as capable in most situations than maybe just a lift kit etc would do.

Although I am in the North of England, I would conceivably be driving on muddy and rocky tacks to go Mountainbiking, or on sand for Camping.

I'm from Australia and used to have an off-road modified Subaru Leone Station Wagon, and I really miss that car - it could do anything and go anywhere :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.