Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

This bugged me for some years and today i finally decided to ask about this matter.When i want to dissengage 4H LOCK and switch to normal 4H for street driving the $h LCOK light is blinking continuosly and take some time until really dissapears.Maybe 4 -5 minutes.I usually dissengage 4H LOCK when the car is in full stop.Sometimes i can wait 30s or 1 minute for the 4h lock light to dissapear but if it takes 4-5 minutes to dissengage i just drive on tarmac normally.It does dissapear after a while but i feel it takes too long.
I made some testing and saw that if i engage 4h lock and then after a minute i dissengage it.It will dissapear very fast.But if i drive with 4h lock for a long period of time when i try to dissengage it it will take 4 minutes to do it.
Other than this there are no problems with the 4x4 system.The car is a grand vitara 1.9ddis Lwb 2006 with 108000 km.The oil in the transfer case was changed regularly.Last change was this year with ravenol VSG 75w90.The oil in differential (front and rear) is the original suzuki 80w90 and was replaced also this year.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
You are not switching it correctly.

I had the same issues. The lock sleeve is very sensitive to driveline wind up and any resistance between front and rear axles will result in it not releasing

My method is to be travelling in a straight line on a soft surface (never ever on a hard surface in any of the lock modes) ease off the power to a coast, switch to 4H and if necessary add or remove power to ease switching. If you engine brake, or add power you add load to the lock sleeve and it takes longer to switch.

If stationary switch, and gently rock the car forward or back to release tension on the sleeve. As its connecting 2 splined shafts together, any load from different rotation speeds between front and rear axles will prevent it from engaging or releasing

Never drive on hard surfaces in 4HL or 4LL

That means not on hard dirt tracks etc as well. Sand, mud, shingle are all fine. If the wheels can't slip on the ground, its too hard for a lock mode.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not switching it correctly.

I had the same issues. The lock sleeve is very sensitive to driveline wind up and any resistance between front and rear axles will result in it not releasing

My method is to be travelling in a straight line on a soft surface (never ever on a hard surface in any of the lock modes) ease off the power to a coast, switch to 4H and if necessary add or remove power to ease switching. If you engine brake, or add power you add load to the lock sleeve and it takes longer to switch.

If stationary switch, and gently rock the car forward or back to release tension on the sleeve. As its connecting 2 splined shafts together, any load from different rotation speeds between front and rear axles will prevent it from engaging or releasing

Never drive on hard surfaces in 4HL or 4LL

That means not on hard dirt tracks etc as well. Sand, mud, shingle are all fine. If the wheels can't slip on the ground, its too hard for a lock mode.
Big thx for the post.Unfortunetly i've done this driving on asphalt for a couple of times with 4x4 mode blinking because sometimes i just didn't have time to do all that.Fingers crossed then.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
You are only making it harder to disengage if on asphalt and you are running the real risk of damage to the transfer case and other driveline components, now you know not to do it....
The process for shifting the transfer case is in the guidebook, and should also be in a card in the pocket on the drivers side sun visor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are only making it harder to disengage if on asphalt and you are running the real risk of damage to the transfer case and other driveline components, now you know not to do it....
The process for shifting the transfer case is in the guidebook, and should also be in a card in the pocket on the drivers side sun visor.
Please tell what means this:

Using the Transfer Switch (if equipped) - Operating Your Vehicle - Suzuki Grand Vitara Owners Manual - Suzuki Grand Vitara - Suzuki manuals (suzuguide.com)

"Do not operate the transfer switch while tires are racing. " ?
and this kinda counter the above statement.
"• Do not shift between “4H” and “4H LOCK” unless the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position and we recommend that the vehicle speed be less than 100 km/h (60 mph)."

There is a switch on the fly with car moving up to 100km/h but it says to not operate while tires are racing...By racing means ... rotating ?

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
I think it's fairly obvious that racing can NOT mean rotating, you can "switch on the fly" providing certain conditions are met, and one of those conditions is that the vehicle speed is less than 100km/h, so switching with the vehicle moving is permitted, and once the vehicle is moving, the wheels (and tires) will be rotating.

What I think they mean is slipping or spinning, ie has lost traction - the idea is for the two shafts in the transfer case that need to be linked to be rotating at the same speed or if they are not, it must not be a significant difference, which would be the case if the front wheels were not in the straight ahead position or if one or more tires had lost traction.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's fairly obvious that racing can NOT mean rotating, you can "switch on the fly" providing certain conditions are met, and one of those conditions is that the vehicle speed is less than 100km/h, so switching with the vehicle moving is permitted, and once the vehicle is moving, the wheels (and tires) will be rotating.

What I think they mean is slipping or spinning, ie has lost traction - the idea is for the two shafts in the transfer case that need to be linked to be rotating at the same speed or if they are not, it must not be a significant difference, which would be the case if the front wheels were not in the straight ahead position or if one or more tires had lost traction.
Why do i need to decode an owners manual ? Who can answer for sure what means "racing" the tires ?

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Why do i need to decode an owners manual ? Who can answer for sure what means "racing" the tires ?
Racing of tyres means wheel spin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can I ask …why are you using 4WH lock? I have our GV in some “trick “ situations and 4WD “normal “ is still amazing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I ask …why are you using 4WH lock? I have our GV in some “trick “ situations and 4WD “normal “ is still amazing.
I love speeding when going dirt tracks with portions of mud.With 4h lock the car handles the obstacles with ease and the engine is relaxed.I have the 1.9 diesel engine.Also the car is much more responsive and agile.You feel the added traction.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Funny.I am used to the old school 1996 way of disengaging 4x4 traction. 4L still need to be disengaged when the car is still.
4LL to 4HL needs to be done stationary
4HL to 4H can be done on the fly.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Depends on the situation. My auto is fine in 4H but to save the abs going nuts all the time if I have different grip levels each end of the car ill grab 4HL

Very noticeable on shingle roads in mine, it "duck walks" in 4H but becomes rock steady in 4HL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts