Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I've got a 2006 swift 1.5 RS415. I recently replaced the both struts and I managed to break the front left ABS Sensor the ABS light and the red break light (same light that comes on with handbrake) came on the dash due to the faulty sensor. I bought a new pair of abs sensors and fitted them and drove around for an hour and the red break light has gone but the ABS light is still lit. Do I need to clear a code to get the light off? I thought with ABS faults the system usually clears it self?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,367 Posts
You need to get it on a live data scanner and monitor the 4 wheel speed sensors,

Question: which one is dropping out..?? Guessing is not going to do it..

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Depends on the ABS fault, scan it and start diagnosing, depending on whats happened it may require a scan tool to reset the code.

you definitely need to check relative speeds on all 4 wheels in real time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the ABS fault, scan it and start diagnosing, depending on whats happened it may require a scan tool to reset the code.

you definitely need to check relative speeds on all 4 wheels in real time.
Do you know of a scan tool that allows me to access that data? I've currently got a scan tool coming in the post (basic Autel one) that can read / clear the ABS codes but don't think it gives me access to live data!

On another note took the car to a empty car park got up to 30 and slammed the brakes on and ABS definitely kicked in! So seems to be working despite the light

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
be careful, some of the Autel ones won't read the Suzuki ABS modules. I have a Foxwell that will.
depending on the model, it should allow you to monitor the 4 wheel sensors in real time as 4 text lines on the display, you may need to select the appropriate PID's for the sensors but thats covered in the user guide with the scan tool.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
you may also have a "locked" code and while the ABS is working, itt may still have an issue. check codes and sensors data and report back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you may also have a "locked" code and while the ABS is working, itt may still have an issue. check codes and sensors data and report back.
So i got my scan tool: Autel MD802, said I had a front left sensor issue. Cleared the code took it round for 10 minutes logging data and exported it to Excell when I got back. The left sensor seems fine but occasionally drops out or spikes up compared to the other wheels. Took the sensor out and the copper grease I put on it to stop it from seizing in was on the metal sensor tip. Cleaned it up and it's perfect no more lights! .

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
ahh, self inflicted fault, that will teach you hehehehe

Great you found the cause and fixed it, its always a good feeling when you can do that, and learn a bit in the process. Less grease next time?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts