Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first thread here,

I have a 2014 Suzuki Swift and ive run into a problem with my Garmin Infotainment system. It will not boot up past the suzuki logo screen.No one can seem to help me as they think it maybe a factory problem but it is out of warranty and will cost me a fortune and a 3 hour trip to get it looked at. The logo will come on when i start the car as normal but it will then go off, then the screen will go black and then the logo will come back on. This continues as long as the car is running. I have read a few threads on here saying to upgrade the system but you seem to need the screen to reset it. Is the only option to pull it apart? TIA

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
this happens occasionally, they toss a tanty and get into a bootloop, is it the one that looks like the unit in the attached pic? if it is... if its not, then i'm not sure what to do

this is what I did a while ago before i decided to replace it with something better.

I formatted a 16GB class 10 UHS sd card, downloaded the 3.9 version of the firmware directly from (https://static.garmincdn.com/autoOem...NA/GUPDATE.GCD) and placed it into a folder named "Garmin" on the SD card.
Then inserted the card, powered on the ignition to acc and powered the unit on, pressed the voice command button and placed my finger in the top left of the screen until the "loading software" message appeared and then released the buttons. Waited for a good 5-10 minutes, and sure enough after 1-2 boots after that the unit powered back on to a stable state. once its working, do the next bit.

Now, for those who have working units I suggest the following for good measure:
1. Insert a spare formatted SD card (I think it should be 8GB+ and class 10) and go to the menu to start the 'update' process (which will create an xml file and a Garmin folder on the SD card). The xml file is useful for debugging and any support issues you might have in the future with Garmin/Suzuki.
2. Bring the SD card to a computer and use the Garmin updater tool (https://suzuki.garmin.com/suzuki/) to get the latest firmware on the card. Update the firmware on the unit.
3. Keep that spare SD card in the car somewhere and also keep a copy of the contents of that card on the computer.

This way you'll never have to panic if your unit gets into this state in the middle of a long road trip. You can simply pop in your SD card which is already setup with folders and firmware and get your unit up and running again. Furthermore, you'll never have the situation where you can't access the SD card update function to prep your SD card when the unit is bricked.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Tried this a couple of times now, holding down the button and screen makes the logo stay on for ahile but a couple of minutes later it goes straight back to going on and off
you are forcing a reboot, which is why its going back to the same thing. The SD card and files are needed to reinstall the firmware to get it out of the bootloop, and yes, class 10 card or better is highly recommended.

If the SD reader is dead, then the units toast i'm afraid. If it reboots then says "loading software" go make a coffee and drink it, it takes that long to reload and reboot

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
now, use that card to do the update from the garmin /suzuki site and keep it safe

·
Registered
13,416 Posts

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
How long do you have to hold it for m8
press the voice command button and place finger in the top left of the screen until the "loading software" message appears, usually about 10-15 seconds. if its not doing this then the head unitts probably not going to be recoverable

·
Registered
4 Posts
press the voice command button and place finger in the top left of the screen until the "loading software" message appears, usually about 10-15 seconds. if its not doing this then the head unitts probably not going to be recoverable
Hi I am facing the same problem, the system keep on rebooting. I did above steps but no use, The loading software message came up but after 5 minutes the screen come up ask to choose locale and then again reboot. Anyone can help.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Hi I am facing the same problem, the system keep on rebooting. I did above steps but no use, The loading software message came up but after 5 minutes the screen come up ask to choose locale and then again reboot. Anyone can help.
It will reboot about 3 times all by itself, the whole process takes about 20 minutes

·
Registered
4 Posts
It will reboot about 3 times all by itself, the whole process takes about 20 minutes
May be i m doing something wrong, Here is what i did:
1. Insert SD card with 3.9 version of the firmware.
2. Loading software message appear and screen stays same for 5 mins
3. After that system start and select locale appear and its restart in 30 sec- this happen 8-10 times and keep on happening .
4. I switch off the car and start the car again- no results, screen keep on restarting every 30 sec.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
sounds like it didn't accept the firmware.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
ok, now, grab the same card and file it away somewhere in case it does it again

Reactions: Yogeesh44
1 - 20 of 31 Posts