Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! Hope someone's advice can help.

My partners Hyundai i10 was recently written off by a drunk driver! So she needs a car for work, decided she wanted a swift!

She found a 2013 one online, with 17k miles for a reasonable price! It's the Sz4 so unlike her previous cars, it has some extras and seems real nice! The car was quite far away so she did this 'buy and deliver' system, when the car came I was on my way to work, so I stuck my head around it quickly, all seemed good!
Since this I've had a proper look, and noticed on the inside of the bonnet it has rust around the catch, proper into the bonnet so no way I can DIY fix it or not with my skill atleast!

The car is white, I'm not so concerned about it becoming visable, more concenered about if that will make the bonnet catch come off =bonnet flying up! Is this likely or am I faffing over nothing? The car does have 1 previous owner which was located in Devon, England, which could be closer to the sea air.

Garage ww got it from says its general wear and tear, and the catch does feel pretty solid on there at the moment!

To add I have put wd40 on it,
Thanks for any input!

·
Super Moderator
15,719 Posts
I'm not overly bothered about I see in those pictures, but, before I pronounce it safe, there should be a second spring loaded latch that has to be disengaged before the bonnet can be lifted - is that fitted, is it working and more importantly - does it latch onto a different area of the bonnet structure that is in good condition?

Because of the dangers involved in a bonnet coming open with the vehicle in motion, most cars carry two latches, the main latch that is pictured there and a second "safety latch", intended to prevent the bonnet from opening fully if the main latch were to fail or come loose - if both are present on that car, I'd say it can safely be driven.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not overly bothered about I see in those pictures, but, before I pronounce it safe, there should be a second spring loaded latch that has to be disengaged before the bonnet can be lifted - is that fitted, is it working and more importantly - does it latch onto a different area of the bonnet structure that is in good condition?

Because of the dangers involved in a bonnet coming open with the vehicle in motion, most cars carry two latches, the main latch that is pictured there and a second "safety latch", intended to prevent the bonnet from opening fully if the main latch were to fail or come loose - if both are present on that car, I'd say it can safely be driven.
Hi and thank you so much for your response!

Where is this 2nd latch? I'm UK, so we pop the bonnet from inside, then lift the bonnet very slightly before pushing a tiny lever to lift bonnet fully, I can try to photo what your on about :) thank you

P. S these photos are of the actual bonnet, not the latch by the grill

·
Super Moderator
15,719 Posts
then lift the bonnet very slightly before pushing a tiny lever to lift bonnet fully
That "tiny lever" is the second or safety latch - it prevents the bonnet from opening more than about two inches unless it's released - and yes, I recognise that the pictures are the actual bonnet or rather the bonnet half of the latch, and I am aware that the remainder of the mechanism is behind the grille.

Reactions: rmills55

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That "tiny lever" is the second or safety latch - it prevents the bonnet from opening more than about two inches unless it's released - and yes, I recognise that the pictures are the actual bonnet or rather the bonnet half of the latch, and I am aware that the remainder of the mechanism is behind the grille.
Hi again, thank you for your reply again, I'm not avalible to see the car again for a couple of weeks as I work away, but from a Google it looks like the spring latch is in the same mechanism, and is just lower down than the safety latch, based that on the replacement part image, and a photo of underneath the bonnet (one for sale on eBay). But will look correctly when I'm back home, thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts