Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I have an idea, I would like to know if I swap the well running engine of a 2000 Esteem standard transmission, into a 2000 Esteem that had a blow engine, could I do so to a 2000 automatic.
Also I don't know if when and engine blows that it destroys the transmission, or how to know if the transmission will be good if the engines blown.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Super Moderator
13,758 Posts
As a general rule, you can swap the engines between an automatic & a manual transmission vehicle, assuming the transmission is the only difference - whether or not the blown engine will affect the transmission will depend on the nature of the engine failure - blown does not specify how the engine failed, just that it failed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then, may I ask.

What type of engine failure you be best to look for, or what not to consider?
As far as finding a Esteem with a blown engine and having the transmission not being affected be it?

Thank you,
Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another engine swap Question

What years would be compatible to swap a 2000 Suzuki Esteem engine into?

Craig

·
Super Moderator
13,758 Posts
The Baleno/Esteem was offered with FIVE different engines, and there would have been multiple transmissions - at least two five speeds and an automatic - I'm not going to get into a hypothetical discussion and list all the variables - let's go back to the square one - what do YOU have, what do YOU need?

Do you have an Esteem with a failed engine?
Do you have an Esteem with a failed transmission?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I got.

Ok, so here I go, I have a 2000 Suzuki Esteem Sedan 1.8L with a 5-speed manual transmission, the transmission and engine are good, less then 70,000 miles on the engine, the rear end of the car is smashed in, so what I need is to find a new body to put it in, preferably to find an esteem that had a blown transmission or blow engine, that I can get for cheap, or another car that the engine and transmission can be swapped into.
This is to be my first car from my dad and a tricky project, but I really need to some help getting this going, so I can start getting my life rolling again (<-car pun).

Any help and answers is greatly appreciated,
Craig

·
Super Moderator
13,758 Posts
I'd say you want another 1.8 Esteem, especially if this is your first foray into this type of stuff - it should be possible to swap your 1.8 power train into a 1.6 shell, which may or may not be more readily available, but there is more work involved - it can be done, and it's easier if you have both cars side by side, so you can compare and easily swap any parts that may be different.

It shouldn't matter much whether the engine or transmission has failed, or the nature of the failure because you're going to be swapping both the engine & transmission from your car over - another reason to look for another 1.8 is that you can keep what's left as spares.

Now - none of this is likely to be economically feasible unless you're doing the bulk of the work yourself - if you have to pay someone to do it, there will be a significant cost attached, and you might be better off looking for a good used car, and selling the 1.8 to someone who needs an engine for a Sidekick Sport (it's the same engine).

Do you have the mechanical inclination to tackle a project like this, the tools, equipment & shop space that it needs, and since this is your first time out, some one with experience to guide you.

Good luck & go brave - for me, there is nothing as satisfying as wrenching on your own car, and I think you'll find the experience a very rewarding one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well

First off thank you, and I am very mechanically inclined, and would be doing the work my self, with some supervision of my dad, as of now my largest problem has been trying to find an old esteem to get my hands on, any suggestion, tried ebay, craigslist, no go so far, also I'm in Ohio, and with looking on craigslist have check all ohio, and surrounding states.

Any thing could help, thanks again,
Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
?

? If I found a Sidekick Sport I could swap the engine into it?
Would I want to find a 2000?

Because I may in fact prefer and suv to a sedan.

Thanks again,
Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also for the Esteem, does the year matter or is there and play in there for model years?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Super Moderator
13,758 Posts
The Sidekick Sport is a relatively rare vehicle, built only for the US/Canada and sold for a three year period - 96~98 - the long block is the same as the one used in 1.8 Esteem, my advice is usually to steer clear of them, primarily because of part availability - that said - if I had the opportunity to pick one up at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.

If you're getting an Esteem the year isn't that critical, there are differences but because you'll have both cars side by side, you'll be able to work things out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I found a 2002 Esteem 1.8L 5-speed, with a blown engine to swap mine into, now just to get my bearing I was told by my dad that replacing the water pump, basic tune up, gaskets, what other things should I be looking into for this engine swap. Just want to make sure if I'm doing something that I'm going to be doing it right.

As always thank you,
Craig

·
Super Moderator
13,758 Posts
Depends on the condition of the motor - your Dad might know something I don't - if I were swapping the motor & tranny out of my GV into another body shell, I wouldn't touch a thing, but that's because I know the condition my motor & tranny are in.

If I were swapping a used motor (one that I don't know the history of) into my vehicle, I'd be changing the crank seals, clutch assembly (if it's a stick shift), timing belt (if it has one - these engines use chains, which are not a routine maintenance item, and on a properly maintained engine rarely give trouble), maybe the water pump, depending on how hard it is to reach (these are easy), plus of course the plugs, all the fluids, filters, rubber hoses & belts - but remember - that's on a motor that I don't know the history of.

Listen to your Dad - he should know the motor.

·
Super Moderator
13,758 Posts
By the way - is your "donor vehicle" a 5 speed? If not, which transmission are you planning on using?

·
Registered
811 Posts
From personal experience on my 2002 1.8 you have to jack the engine up to get the water pump, idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley out, so while you have the engine out of the car you may as well replace all of these.

Something else to consider replacing while you have the engine out of the car is the front crank shaft seal and resealing the oil pan.

Also while you have it out pull the valve cover off and check the timing chain guide that is bolted to the floor of the valve assembly (and has a rubber pad right above the timing chain) and make sure that it has not snapped in half (mine was and luckily ended up nowhere dangerous to the engine).

Also check the O-rings that seal the spark plug holes, mine were as hard as a rock and were leaking oil down into the spark plug wells, to get them out you just pry them out with a little pick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The transmission is coming out of the donor vehicle, and the reason behind the water pump and general tune up is do to the donor vehicle sitting for about 2 years, so just for a safe measure he said we need to replace the water pump. Also he had been telling me that the engine needs dropped out the bottom of the car not puller out, any insight on that?

Also thank you,
Craig

·
Registered
811 Posts
Long-story-short... you should be able to pull it out of the top of the car with a cherry picker, it will be a tight squeeze but it should come through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also since as of now the car I was going to get with a blown engine has been sold, and for my search, are the mounts for the transmission the same between and automatic and manual in the Esteems, because if so i can swap out the interior center counsel if it is.

Thank you,
Craig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts