Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 SX4 with the steering wheel controls for the radio and cruise control. I know it's a small thing, but I hate the fact that the controls are not illuminated in that model. On a lark, I found out I can get a 2012 steering wheel local for really cheap ($20), same controls, same color. I would swap in my existing airbag.

Does anybody know if it's possible to swap the steering wheels and make the illumination work in the newer steering wheel? I'm fairly certain the actual steering wheel is the same as far as mounting, but I'm wondering if the harness is totally different or if I will need to run an illumination wire to the existing harness in the 2009? Will there be any problems with the airbag transfer?

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
899 Posts
is the illuminated steering part of the tech package..that is, the top model? or is it a 2012+ feature only? I have the 2011 JX (middle model) and the buttons are not illuminated....

EDIT: ....mmmmm.... ???????? (going out and check.....)

oups....:blush::whistling: ...they are...
...sorry..I goofed...

...disconnect the battery completely before the air bag swap....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Canadian models may be completely different, but I was under the impression that at least in the US, everything after 2010 was illuminated. I'll have to check to see the origin of the replacement wheel that's nearby!

EDIT: hah! Understood, thank you for checking! It's one of those weird features that you hardly notice you have. I'm only noticing now because of the absence...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll just go ahead and answer my own question in case anybody else is interested in this. It's actually really easy if you're comfortable with electrical work.

You need two wires, an illumination or dimmer wire if you prefer the controls to dim and a ground wire, which can both come off the radio connections which are conveniently located. The steering wheel with illuminated controls is just a straight swap and you can find instructions to connect and disconnect the steering wheel here.

The harness that needs to be modified connects to the bottom front of the steering wheel column, at the bottom of the rotating coil. It matches up perfectly with the harness that connects the cruise control and radio controls for the actual steering wheel.

Ground goes to position 12 and the illumination/dimmer wire goes to position 11 on the harness. Thankfully the steering coil has all the lines connected around to the receiving harness above, so no mods there.

Very easy and cheap mod to make the older model SX4s a little nicer!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts