Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im a new member here just thought ide introduce myself. Ive owned her for 8 years, great car absolutely love her. Unfortunately i let her sit for a year as she wasnt registered, ive gone to start her up with a new battery and she wont start.

She cranks and turns over strong but my assumption is theres no fuel getting in. I emptied the tank then filled her up with some good fuel and still no luck.
I removed the fuel line off from near the throttle body, attached it to a hose, tried crancking the car and no fuel came out?..i think that line joins to a mechanical fuel pump.

Unfortunately all my experience is with EFI cars so if anyone can help me diagnose my problem i would be greatly appreciated.

Also she started up a month ago, but there was a little misfire in the exhaust, then i stopped her and now she wont start.....any help appreciated, thanks in advance
Peter:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the fuel pump is bolted to the engine block on the right rear side of the cylinder head. It has 3 hoses. The inlet hose, the outlet hose and the return hose.

step one: The inlet hose is the one closest to the firewall. remove that hose, put a small length of hose from the inlet port and run it to a can of gas. Remove the outlet line and run a hose from the outlet port to an empty container.

If the pump doesn't move the fuel from one container to the other when you crank it, then the pump is bad.

If the pump moves the fuel from one container to the other when you crank it, then the pump is good

If the pump is good, then try reconnecting the outlet line to the carb and running off the gas can.
If it runs off the gas can then you have a blocked or restricted inlet line between the tank and the pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
make sure fuels getting to the carby, you can always pour a little fuel in the carby :p
isnt there a set pressure its meant to be injected in at?

Thanks baratacus and Rmkymy....ill give it a shot and report back...greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The fuel pump may have dried out, try pouring some fuel into the pump to prime it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi guys im a new member here just thought ide introduce myself. Ive owned her for 8 years, great car absolutely love her. Unfortunately i let her sit for a year as she wasnt registered, ive gone to start her up with a new battery and she wont start.

She cranks and turns over strong but my assumption is theres no fuel getting in. I emptied the tank then filled her up with some good fuel and still no luck.
I removed the fuel line off from near the throttle body, attached it to a hose, tried crancking the car and no fuel came out?..i think that line joins to a mechanical fuel pump.

Unfortunately all my experience is with EFI cars so if anyone can help me diagnose my problem i would be greatly appreciated.

Also she started up a month ago, but there was a little misfire in the exhaust, then i stopped her and now she wont start.....any help appreciated, thanks in advance
Peter:)

There's an easy way to make sure the fuel pump is working. Remove the fuel line from the carb and crank up the engine, see if any fuel is being pored out of the fuel line or not. If so, then it has nothing to do with the pump.

I've faced a similar problem a few days ago. I was replacing the temperature sensor underneath the thermostat, and as I removed the sensor some coolant water got spilled and touched the wires near it. When I tried to start up the engine, the coil fuse got blown out and I had the exact same symptoms. The distributor wasn't running, and the spark plugs wouldn't spark. I checked the fuse, found that it was blown, and replaced it, and everything went just fine.

The fuse is a 15-Amp fuse in the fuse box. There are two rows of fuses, it is the first fuse of the second row.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
he said he pulled the outlet line at the carb and it wasn't pumping fuel. At that point he needs to determine if its the pump or the supply line.

The carburetor doesn't require much pressure to fill the float bowl and then everything is mostly run off of manifold vacuum. The carburetor atomizes fuel with a low pressure jet and the engine sucks the air and fuel in quantities that it can consume,
as opposed to a Fuel injected engine that meters the fuel and air electronically and uses high pressure to pump the fuel into the engine. Much more efficient, but much more complex.

If you pour gasoline or starter fluid into the carburetor it primes the engine and the engine can fire up or at least cough and sputter a bit. It's the same thing that you do when you pump the pedal a couple times before starting it cold. The accelerator pump primes the carb with a couple squirts of fuel so that it turns over immediately without cranking it a few times for the fuel to flow. This is a good way to test if you have something in your carb that is obstructing flow. But if you already know that your pump is not getting fuel into the carb its not really a necessary step yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot al who helped....it looks to me that the pump just needed some priming...

Funny thing now is that she starts better then before..in saying that i installed a high capacity euro battery and an extra earth from the block to the body..starts first time every time now...also did a nice paint job on her

single stage jet black...not as glossy as if i clearcoated it but i prefer the semi satin look

1 - 10 of 10 Posts