Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1990 Suzuki vitara is running rich, i smell fuel fumes often.
This is more noticeable when i change gears especially when i got from 4th to 5th gear.

My car is a bit savage and there is a photo of my engine just in case anything seems off.

Motor is a 1.6l g16a petrol.

Dose anyone have any ideas on what going on?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
OK, so you have the carburetor engine, and not fuel injected. So no computer, etc., just 'old school' carburetor adjustments, choke, timing, spark plug gaps (.07mm), fuel pressure, etc.
You may want to advise exactly how the car starts from cold, what cold idle is, what warm idle is, etc., whether you have full power, and more info on how the car actually runs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

carburettor motor and i had a choke but one of my mates disabled it, this lowered the fume smell by around half but it still is quit noticeable.
My car always starts better when the front is facing down hill, but when its cold, it can be hard to start sometimes but fine once i give it some acceleration.
idle is at 1000 when its warmed up but when its not its 100 to 400.
The car runs overall ok! Never been much better since ive owed it although it feels like it should run better then it is! Doesn't increase in speed very fast either.

Another thing - wondering if you would know wether the fuel milage is right for my car:
rough estimate but i usually get $10-60km

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I would check that the return to the fuel tank is clear and that the float needle valve in the carburettor is clean and not sticking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i get some time ill look into how to do this and look more into what your suggesting does to see if it relates to anything else that i may of forgot to say.
Thanks heaps for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.