Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys am new to this forum so here goes, I have a 1990 Suzuki vitara when in 4wd a free spinning noise gradually gets louder the faster I go I can only hear it when in 4wd im thinking it could be something to do with the transfer case?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Hopefully you understand that this car is part time 4wd, and should never be driven with the transfer case in 4wd and the hubs locked on ANY surface where the wheels cannot slip - otherwise you can cause damage to the transfer case, etc.
You need to determine where this noise is coming from. If you have the transfer case in 4wd, but the hubs are unlocked, do you get the noise? If the transfer case is in 2wd but the hubs are locked, do you gt it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully you understand that this car is part time 4wd, and should never be driven with the transfer case in 4wd and the hubs locked on ANY surface where the wheels cannot slip - otherwise you can cause damage to the transfer case, etc.
You need to determine where this noise is coming from. If you have the transfer case in 4wd, but the hubs are unlocked, do you get the noise? If the transfer case is in 2wd but the hubs are locked, do you gt it?

Hey thanks for ur response I fully understand it's a part time 4wd. It makes the noise in all of those circumstances

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Have you checked the oil in the transfer case (or ever replaced it??) Sadly, I would have preferred having the noise come from the hubs.. :(
Is this car new to you? Normally,, transfer case issues (other than fluid level, etc.) come from wind up where the car has been driven in 4wd on a dry surface. On a positive note, it is fairly easy to get a replacement transfer case in a junkyard - as they are not often used, most junkyard ones are in decent enough condition. But I would check the fluid level, and probably replace it, to see if this helps.

And Dirtydaugherty: You should start your own post with your issue, as well as advising the specs on your car.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Hi guys am new to this forum so here goes, I have a 1990 Suzuki vitara when in 4wd a free spinning noise gradually gets louder the faster I go I can only hear it when in 4wd im thinking it could be something to do with the transfer case?
My suspicion is what you're hearing is the drive chain - mind you the chain will turn in 2WD with the hubs locked - but it's not transferring any power.

One possible cause (apart from an actual problem with the chain or transfer case) is missing insulation or carpeting - it does cut down quite a bit of the "normal" noises.

One last thing - check and make sure the tires are all the same size and approximate tread wear - that could/would affect the load on the chain in 4WD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.