Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Suzuki Vitara SZT 2017. My navigation system is telling me I am currently in Germany when I am actually in Northern Ireland and when I tested it by asking it to take me somewhere else, my position on the map does not move. I have updated the infotainment system, but have not yet updated the Maps card, is that the issue or is there something else I can do before I buy a new map card from eBay? Hoping you can advise me.
Thanks 馃槉

Super Moderator
The fact that it shows no movement makes me think the problem is either the GPS antenna or the receiver itself, but I am not familiar with the nav system used on the Vitara so I can't tell you if it's a separate part or an internal component - I doubt that a map update will fix it.

It can also be caused by the physical location of the car - the GPS unit needs to see a minimum of three satellites to get a positional fix, so if the car is in a garage or parked where it does not have a clear view of the sky, the system may not work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that it shows no movement makes me think the problem is either the GPS antenna or the receiver itself, but I am not familiar with the nav system used on the Vitara so I can't tell you if it's a separate part or an internal component - I doubt that a map update will fix it.

It can also be caused by the physical location of the car - the GPS unit needs to see a minimum of three satellites to get a positional fix, so if the car is in a garage or parked where it does not have a clear view of the sky, the system may not work.
Thank you for that info, so I鈥檓 a bit confused, my Tom Tom sat nav had a wee hole (struggling for a proper term.) that had to be able to see the sky, when I spoke to Suzuki they said that it鈥檚 in the aerial. Is this incorrect? Should I be looking for a wee area in the car probably the dashboard that should be in full view of the sky?

Registered
If you go into the Destinations menu and select New Address, the first field is the Country. Have you checked to see what it鈥檚 currently set at ? If it鈥檚 Germany, then it may be as simple as setting it to UK. If it鈥檚 already UK, try setting it to Germany and see if it sorts itself out. Also, as an afterthought, check that your time zone is correctly set to London.

Im not sure where the GPS antenna is on the Vitara but I鈥檇 be surprised if it was in the little bee sting aerial. It鈥檚 more likely to be tucked behind the panel trim somewhere or embedded in a window (the Discovery 4 had it secreted in a tinted glass rear window apparently, although I never found the wire). As long as you鈥檙e outside, there are enough satellites covering UK that getting a fix is rarely an issue.

Super Moderator
It's been my experience that the GPS systems (both handheld & vehicle mounted) will automatically determine their location once they can get a satellite fix, they don't need to be told where they are - if the maps on the unit do not cover the geographical location, they will show whatever portion of the map is closest.

As an example, a vehicle with only Japanese maps will show every other country as in the ocean off the coast of Japan, they will however show motion, as in the orientation of the vehicle will change - if you're driving North, the display will show you as driving North, make a right turn and the display will show you heading East.

A complete failure to show any motion or direction change suggests the unit does not have a fix, which means it's not seeing any, or enough satellites to get a fix.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@fordem @BarnsleyRob

Thank you both for your replies. The time zone was incorrect, however changing this did not fix my issue. The new address was already set at uk so this unfortunately didn鈥檛 fix my issue.
if only I could locate the gps then I could make sure it鈥檚 working correctly and has a good view. The map location does not move, however since pre update the apparent 鈥榣ocation鈥 of the car has moved, still in Germany mind you. More googling required, refusing to pay Suzuki until I鈥檝e exhausted all I can do.

Registered
GPS antenna is behind the dash, remove the head unit and follow the aerial lead with the blue plug to find it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diagrams fairy vague, item 4 is GPS unit, asterisk means it's fitted to opposite side on right hand drive vehicles.
Can I ask where you found this? I鈥檝e been searching for diagrams all day and it鈥檚 only bringing up grand Vitara diagrams

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I pull my car apart tracking cables, does anybody know for certain where the gps receiver is located in the Suzuki Vitara SZT 2017??

Thanks

Super Moderator
Just a guess, and based on the diagram, somewhere in the dash itself, possibly underneath, since I believe the dash itself is plastic.

Question for you - how long is/was your warranty (here I get five years) - if it's under warranty, take it back to the dealer.

Registered
That diagram is from suzuki service portal
Hi did you manage to resolve the problem. I have just fitted a Bosh satnav unit to my vitara and its not working. When turned on the map was in Northern Ireland and I am in North Wales. Did a factory reset and the map is now Germany. The unit doesn't seem to be getting any gps signal.

Registered
Hi did you manage to resolve the problem. I have just fitted a Bosh satnav unit to my vitara and its not working. When turned on the map was in Northern Ireland and I am in North Wales. Did a factory reset and the map is now Germany. The unit doesn't seem to be getting any gps signal.

Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
Keep in mind the GPS is a digital signal, not optical, so does not need to peep out and see the sky.. It requires unobstructed signals from the satellites..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
unfortunately I did not solve it, real life problems came up lol and so they took priority, however I will now go back and take a look again. Have you got any further?

Registered
Problem solved. Whoever removed the gps aerial from the original car must have pulled it free. This stretched the cable and broke the braded wires and inner core but leaving its surround intact. Covered the damage with insulation tape. New one on the way!

Registered
So can you confirm that the gps is in the aerial or fin at the rear of the roof?
So can you confirm that the gps is in the aerial or fin at the rear of the roof?
The GPS aerial is inside the dashboard in my 2020/21 car. If you remove the plastic trim above the glovebox there are 2 mounting locations, one underneath a metal plate which can be removed and one nearer the satnav unit itself. Can post a picture later if you need one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts