Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me with a wiring problem I'm having. A friend of mine asked me to wire a Microtech LT-8 into his g13b gti swift. I had never wired one before but he wasn't on a time line to have it finished and I think I know enough in theory to work it out if I'm not rushed, so I agreed to do it for him. It has all been relatively straight forward and I'm just about finished but I'm stuck on a part I was hoping someone with some suzuki knowledge might be able to shed some light on. The problem is my friend purchased the Microtech second hand and because it was off a 4G63T it was for a cam angle sensor setup. He has fixed that by getting a Suzuki Vitara cam angle sensor and had the shaft machined down slightly so it fits, this should work fine but the problem is the wiring. My friend has no idea what year model vitara he got the CAS from or whether it was the 1.6 or 2.0, he pulled it off one in a wrecker about 5 years ago and the car has sat in his shed since. Each of the wires/pins are numbers on the piece of harness left attached to the clip. I believe I've worked out that wires 1 & 2 are the + & - and 3 & 4 are the signal wires. Is there a suzuki standard that means it is the same wiring on all the CAS? Or is there some way of testing the CAS to determine which way around to wire pins 1 & 2? Or does it not matter which way around the + & - are wired to pins 1 & 2? It is a mitsubishi branded CAS if that makes it any easier.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm very much a novice with both suzukis and testing automotive electrical systems. If you need me to get any info from the car or pics of the CAS just let me know.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
12,180 Posts
That looks like the cam position sensor off of one of the H series V6 engines - since you're saving Vitara, probably the 2 litre H20A.

Which country are you in?

The reason for the question is that different markets used different electronics as required to meet emission regulations, some sensors were two channel optical, some were magnetic and both reluctance & hall effect were used.

I do have some info on them, I'll see what I can dig up when I get a moment to spare.

·
Super Moderator
12,180 Posts
Pop the top of that sensor see if it has a disk with a series of holes in it - an inner ring with 6 holes and an outer ring with lots of holes - if it does it's the dual channel optical sensor which may or may not be usable with a four cylinder engine - it depends on how "flexible" the LT-8 is - can you change the timing input parameters - the number of pulses per revolution for the cam angle sensor?

In other words, can you configure the ignition to work with the sensor you have, or do you have to find build a sensor to feed it what it wants to see.

As far as I can tell - pin 1 (as you call it) is grounded via the ECU, pin 2 is a +12V feed from the EFI main relay, the remaining pins are outputs from the two sensors.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The optical sensors are usually very easily modified to work with any injection system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts