Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently acquired Suzuki Vitara, 2 door, 16 Valve, Fuel Injection, Automatic Transmission, 4WD. I do not know the year or anything much else about it.

It has no VIN number that I can find anywhere and a lot of Japanese writing :p

The brake pedal is extremely hard to and stiff. Have to really force it down to get it to work. I am struggling to find the right booster for it since I do not have the VIN number or year etc.

Can someone please give me some advice in regards to this?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
First off, it may be the Master Cylinder that is creating the binding. ;)

You could unbolt it from the booster to check if that is the case, by then determining if the booster internals are free to move on their own.

Ensuring that you have manifold vacuum TO the booster fitting is another check point.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Definitely check the master cylinder first - when you press on the brake, it works off of hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder - can you push the pedal all the way down? Have you checked the brake pipes running along the frame of the car? Any obstruction in any area where the hydraulic fluid runs can cause the brake pedal to be stiff and hard.

Regarding identifying your car - what is your location? UK?? It would appear that this is a Japanese export, rather than a car designed for a foreign market. You should have an engine number, which would be located at the rear of the engine, just before the transmission bell housing, and low down - in line with the oil filter, which, in some markets, also gives a letter code as to the year of the engine. The tranny will have a similar ID as well, just behind the bellhousing of the tranny on the manual transmission.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Well the vacuum line to the booster is disconnected and blocked off so that's not going to help. If you jack up the front of the vehicle do the wheels turn freely? Check that the calipers are not seized on the sliders. there may be an Aisin part number on the booster that you can cross-reference.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Well the vacuum line to the booster is disconnected and blocked off so that's not going to help
You lost us (well, me anyway). :huh:

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Picture 2 shows the pipe with a bolt in the end of it and the corresponding fitting on the booster has no pipe.

It would appear to be a 1996 model.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Oh, ok! :)

I presume that is a pic from the midst of his troubleshooting phase, not how he's operating the vehicle normally. Maybe not!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Namibia, Africa. My brother bought the car like this for my mom, from one of his friends. They had it checked out by a mechanic and had it serviced and they guy gave it the OK.

It also went through the Roads Authorities car test thing just fine.

My mom cannot drive the car because of the very stiff brakes, so I took it to a workshop to have it checked out and they told me the booster broken and has already been blocked off by someone else. They also told me the only parts they can get is directly from Japan and seriously expensive.

Wondered if I could get it from somewhere else and fix it myself.

The brake does not press down all the way, only a very little bit really and is very hard to press down. The car brakes like a land rover. Have to start braking well in advance to be able to stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you Max :)
I see the site is asking for a VIN number. I cannot find the VIN number anywhere. Only info on it that I have is in the picture I linked in my first post. I have been trying to use the Chassis number to get parts from Suzuki directly but they just told me they cannot help me without a VIN number.

Rhinoman, what made you think it is a 1996 model?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
A previous poster on here had a 1996 Escudo with a chassis number similar to yours.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Are you left hand or right hand drive? Partsouq lists two part numbers for the left hand drive version:
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/suzuki/part?catalog=AF&model_code=SE416201&group=206
and one part number for the right hand drive version:
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/suzuki/part?catalog=AF&model_code=SE416201&group=207

If we can confirm the year of your car, we can look this up in the parts catalog, as well.

While there is a 'fix' in the factory service manual, it needs specialized tools and is a bit complex. A copy of that chapter is located here, showing the fix and tools needed, thanks to Acks FAQS:
Ack's FAQ Tracker Factory Service Manual Vacuum Booster System

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bex, thanks for that link!

Right hand drive.

Attaching another picture of a label on the side of the driver side door.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
Hey BEX!
Great link... But the OP must test the Booster first...

Apply a vacuum and assess if it holds or not, if not the diaphragm is ruptured and no need to dis-assemble..

If it holds, does applying the brake work as assisted?

.... Philip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts