Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

We have a '93 vitara which has a dashboard that doesnt have a rev counter.
How easy is it to fit the later JLX dashboard which has a rev counter?
Can anyone advise/ would we need aditional kit to wire it up etc?

Thank you all:)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
"93 vitara"

I'm not sure about the "market" where you are, but here in the US, only the two wheel drive Tracker/Sidekicks came without a tachometer. (I assume this is the "rev counter" you desire.)

I have been told the wiring for the tach is there, so you should be able to install a cluster from the SAME YEAR but with a 4x4.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I recall someone doing this years back. I seem to recall that he had to change the underdash loom as well because the plugs were different. That may have been a year difference or it may have been a Spanish/Japanese difference. Your best bet is to determine what you have and then try the breakers/eBay.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I found one of these in the garage this evening, I've no idea what year it came from but its a Denso circuit so I would think that its from a Japanese model:

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
refit of later dash with rev counter

Thanks to all your help. We would like to fit as featured by Rinoman..
Would that unit fit in? Ours is a Spanish built '93 1.6 (standard) Would you consider sale of the dashboard cluser you have fetured?

Thanks

Rup

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm open to offers but I would suggest that you check the connectors on yours. Is yours a carb model or EFI?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Thanks to all your help. We would like to fit as featured by Rinoman..
Would that unit fit in? Ours is a Spanish built '93 1.6 (standard) Would you consider sale of the dashboard cluser you have fetured?
Rup,

While it is totally POSSIBLE for it to connect electrically, the cluster Rhinoman has pictured is from a North American (most likely US model) as it is MILES Per Hour. You haven't stated your location, but I suspect you'd like a KPH speedometer. (I am assuming some place in Europe.)

You'd be better ID'ing the unit you need and then sourcing the cluster locally. Junkyards and the like. It might be a good "skill set" to learn (finding junkyard parts) if you are going to keep a older (21 years old) vehicle.

A good manual, with wiring diagrams, would also be something to acquire.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Rup,
While it is totally POSSIBLE for it to connect electrically, the cluster Rhinoman has pictured is from a North American (most likely US model) as it is MILES Per Hour. You haven't stated your location, but I suspect you'd like a KPH speedometer. (I am assuming some place in Europe.)
That cluster is from a UK model Vitara - we use MPH not KPH.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That cluster is from a UK model Vitara - we use MPH not KPH.
Wow... learned something. Met my quota for the day by 2am! :rolleyes:

I thought only us stubborn "Yanks" stayed with Miles... and inches, and yards... As my Canadian spec, Sidekick Sport has a KPH speedo, it wasn't a big leap to think that the UK was metric also. We (the US) really should have followed the "plan" in the '70's and made the full conversion. It would have been SO much simpler now.

Rup still should source locally if possible... but he could be local to you... you never know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts