Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

Where can I find roof bars for a 1996 Vitara, or what generic bars have you found to work with the older Vitara??

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

any advice will be great, thanks :D

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
626 Posts
Roof gear has been discussed a lot lately on this forum. My Tracker is 1991, so I can't help, but if you do a SEARCH (Top center of your screen -- easy to miss) for roof racks, etc., you'll find a lot pertaining to your 1996.
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
219 Posts
take that rubber moulding off one side and have a look at the welded seam . There is enough room there to put in 3/16" stainless bolts and make your own racks. Cutting the moulding to fit around the supports as need be. Ain't professional but it works and is far cheaper. That there is a nice rack on the blue Geo but mine is at 1" above the roof line and easier to put things on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Please forgive as I take this opportunity to gloat over my OEM roof rack for a moment...
Tire Vehicle Car Plant Plant community

I do not know about your homeland, but in the states they seem to be rare as hen's teeth. I bought an entire parts rig to get mine. If you are wanting a factory type bolt on solution, that is going to be hard to find. If you want to build something, you have lots of options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked for a while and played with a few different ideas. I could not find a clamp-on rack anywhere. There are a few track systems that will work. For simplicity of installation and to avoid having to drop the headliner, I ended up buying a Yakima track that is held on with a kind of Rivnut. (https://yakima.com/products/42-trac...920.217592831.1633183304-971570273.1633183304) Using that, you can then add any kind of compatible Yakima rack. I found a rack on my local CL for a few bucks though had to pay Yakima's outrageous price for the track. If you end up going this way, I'd search far and wide for a used Yakima rack. New Yakima rack prices are insane. They cost about the same as your car probably did.

I do like the set up though, it's really convenient. The rack comes off with a flip of a lever on the mount and the bases have cute little covers that snap on to neaten up the bases that stay behind. If you're concerned about strength, I use mine almost exclusively with a rooftop tent. Tent weighs about 100 lbs and has never been an issue with this system.

If you are okay dropping the headliner there are cheaper tracks or artificial rain gutter pads available or you can make your own. Yakima used to make something called a 'TopLoader' that was just a stamped metal pad that gave you a fake raingutter to attach the rack. They don't seem to make them anymore but easy to fab if you're handy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts