Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please somebody help. A few weeks ago my check engine light kept going off and the car wouldn't start. I'd tap the wires under the dash and bingo it came on and car would start which sort of indicated a loose wire. Recently it's gone altogether. I've had 4 autoelectrians round scratching their heads. Does anyone please have any idea?

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
Give us a model year and fill in your location under "User CP", please.

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
Spain, UK, or? built. Do we know?

And thanks (from a fellow Azorian ancestry Portagee).

Help is on the way!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
VS = Spain

The Check Engine Light should come on at key on and then go off when the engine starts. If your light is not going off then you can pull fault codes using the monitor coupler (diagnostic connector), details here:

Check Engine Light

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It could be an ECU failure, do you here any clicking when you turn on the ignition key? do you have a DVM or any other test equipment?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No the relay doesn't click, I've already checked this actually works. I've tested continuity from relay to pump & ecu. All ok.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
There are two relays, the main relay and the fuel pump relay should click on together. If you can't hear the main relay and it checks out as good then you either have no power to the ECU, no power from the ignition switch or the ECU is faulty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The main relay does click and is good. Because the main relay is exactly the same as fuel pump relay I switched them. But the FP relay still doesn't click.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The Check Engine Light should come on when the main relay switches on. You need to check that you have power coming through the main relay contacts to the ECU. Do you have an FSM? if not then you can download one here:

Rhinoman's Portal

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
Do the rest of your dash lights work? The car just cranks but won't start or does it do nothing? When you turn the key to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds (you may need to stand at the back of the car to hear it). If you switch relays, do you hear the pump prime? Have you checked the blue/black wire at the main relay for power - it should be so with the key in the on position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts