Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at some websites and came across a suzuki sx4 that was turbocharged and rated at 300whp, i also came across one that was being built to run the 25 hours at thunderhill (the worlds longest endurance race) rated at200+ hp. sooo my question is what type of tranny are in these things???? I was wondering if we could put these trannys in our cars and convert them to fwd???? just wondering. Im going to try and put the pick of the 300hp sx4 enginebayand other on here but im new at this soo hold on

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
First I highly doubt the SX4 tranny will fit in our car as we have a different engine and chase. Second fwd = front wheel drive. I am sure it is possible to make our cars 4X4, but it most probably cost more than the car to do this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jurupa said:
First I highly doubt the SX4 tranny will fit in our car as we have a different engine and chase. Second fwd = front wheel drive. I am sure it is possible to make our cars 4X4, but it most probably cost more than the car to do this.
just wondering b/c the f28 tranny from what i get out of the info that is out there is its a six speed manual awd, but you can covert it to fwd. Ididnt want to convert the reno to awd, i wanted to switch tranny to fwd. Yea after i posted this i realized how unlikly it could be.. sorry for the stupidity. does anyone know a wedsite that sells f28 with fwd conversion???? i has sparked my intrest, yet again a awd reno sounds very appealing lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Zipper said:
The SX4 is all suzuki. We have a rebadged Deawoo

The F28 is a FWD from what I know, and a 5 speed
your right about the daewoo thing...I keep forgetting

this is what i got from wikipedia:

"The Getrag F28/6 manual transmission was built by Getrag and fitted to the C20LET 2.0L Turbo Opel Calibra. It was a 6 speed transmission"
The letter F stands for "F"ront-wheel-drive. Although the F28 is only used in AWD applications, the base transmission still remains a common FWD gearbox. The number 28 stands for the maximum torque capacity in Nm/10. 28 means that, the transmission is capable to transfer 280 Nm nominal torque on the input shaft.
The F28/6 in the Calibra was designed to follow a transverse oriented C20LET engine feeding the front wheels with an outlet to facilitate a driveshaft to feed the rear wheels as well. If the all wheel drive system is disengaged the gearbox will feed only the front wheels. Conversion kits are readily available from aftermarket suppliers to convert the 6 speed transmission to suit a front wheel drive vehicle [1], and this is not an uncommon upgrade (from the 5 speed F20 transmission) amongst owners of the C20XE and X20XEV Calibras.

NOW I JUST NEED TO FIND ONE!!!!! HELP!!!!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Bark3rU20SED said:
just wondering b/c the f28 tranny from what i get out of the info that is out there is its a six speed manual awd, but you can covert it to fwd. Ididnt want to convert the reno to awd, i wanted to switch tranny to fwd. Yea after i posted this i realized how unlikly it could be.. sorry for the stupidity. does anyone know a wedsite that sells f28 with fwd conversion???? i has sparked my intrest, yet again a awd reno sounds very appealing lol
I don't know why you want to do a tranny swap. But I believe there is a tranny we can upgrade to that is a 6 speed manual. But like most parts for our car, it is most probably sold only over seas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jurupa said:
I don't know why you want to do a tranny swap. But I believe there is a tranny we can upgrade to that is a 6 speed manual. But like most parts for our car, it is most probably sold only over seas.
well the reason is this: I bought my car as an automatic (boooooo) and want to switch over to manual.Im buying a spare engine to build up and i wanted a tranny to hold the power, and since exsitances stock tranny blew up i dont want mine to do the same.... then i saw a very old post written by the second in charge at daewootech saying that the f28 tranny (only overseas) can hold more power and is easly installed into a front wheel drive platform, they he went to name the suzuki reno.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Zipper said:
The SX4 is all suzuki. We have a rebadged Deawoo

The F28 is a FWD from what I know, and a 5 speed
It's 4x4 and can be converted to FWD which will hold even more power and is pretty easy to do. Also, its a 6sp.

I only know of one site that might sell F28s and they're 2k usd + $350 shipping used, compared to sellers you can get one for 1k shipped if your very lucky with as little as 55k miles, but they're still 10 years old. I'm willing to import F28s for 1.5k if I can get ahold of one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kinkyllama said:
It's 4x4 and can be converted to FWD which will hold even more power and is pretty easy to do. Also, its a 6sp.

I only know of one site that might sell F28s and they're 2k usd + $350 shipping used, compared to sellers you can get one for 1k shipped if your very lucky with as little as 55k miles, but they're still 10 years old. I'm willing to import F28s for 1.5k if I can get ahold of one.
hey kinky... i also heard that f20 is a strong tranny... you know where to get one???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zipper said:
Your auto is different, and the conversion over to a MT would be easier done getting a stick to begin with
true. now wouldnt i have to have a manual drive reno ecu to swap it out???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zipper said:
manual ECU (or the software and a way to reprogram the chip) tranny, shifter, clutch
well when i got to get my spare engine from this guy im going to ask him how much for the tranny ecu/wires

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bark3rU20SED said:
well the reason is this: I bought my car as an automatic (boooooo) and want to switch over to manual.Im buying a spare engine to build up and i wanted a tranny to hold the power, and since exsitances stock tranny blew up i dont want mine to do the same.... then i saw a very old post written by the second in charge at daewootech saying that the f28 tranny (only overseas) can hold more power and is easly installed into a front wheel drive platform, they he went to name the suzuki reno.
i made this exact mistake, (buying it auto.), and am veryyyyyyy interested in doing the conversion. unfortunately i dont have a spare engine (incase of the worst) to rebuild n what not, so doing this, im willing to risk my engine to do this. yes, im that desperate. but yeah, keep me up to date on this via pm or on here or whatev. if it works, that'll be what i save up for next.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Bark3rU20SED said:
hey kinky... i also heard that f20 is a strong tranny... you know where to get one???
It'd be a total waist to go through all the work to get an F20 when it takes just as much as the F28. Only probem is the F28 might need a custom mount...which isn't really a big deal. The "F" trannys are cable driven though...but its not too hard to convert it with an external slave cylinder and then you dont have to pull your whole tranny everytime that goes out.

Zipper said:
The F20 is easy if you have a MT
Step1: Open your hood
Step 2: Look in
Actually, no. We have the D20...slightly different. The D20 is hydrualic and the F20 is cable driven. I think they are basicly built the same...but for some reason I wanna say the F20 might be slightly stronger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts