Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have replaced the headgasket on my 2008 Sx4 - 1.6L manual 4x4- EU

The engine was running fine but was using water (Leaking in to cylinder 2)

The engine wont idle properly, it revs fine, but it is like it misses and intermittent stall like it needs air at idle.

The traction light keeps flashing and I cant clear the code (C1122 - Engine speed sensor - wrong signal)

I have now timed the engine three times just to make sure as i can't really think of what else it could be. But the timing is spot on. Its a quite simple timing, three marks on the cam and crank. Even has extra marks on the chain just so that you cants crew it up.

I've had the head and all valves/valve seats machined.

Any ideas or something that anyone has seen before?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Hi,

I have replaced the headgasket on my 2008 Sx4 - 1.6L manual 4x4- EU

The engine was running fine but was using water (Leaking in to cylinder 2)

The engine wont idle properly, it revs fine, but it is like it misses and intermittent stall like it needs air at idle.

The traction light keeps flashing and I cant clear the code (C1122 - Engine speed sensor - wrong signal)

I have now timed the engine three times just to make sure as i can't really think of what else it could be. But the timing is spot on. Its a quite simple timing, three marks on the cam and crank. Even has extra marks on the chain just so that you cants crew it up.

I've had the head and all valves/valve seats machined.

Any ideas or something that anyone has seen before?
C1122 I always thought was an electric power steering code?
Vehicle speed signal is 50 km/h (31 rpm) or more and engine
speed signal is 220 rpm or more for 20 seconds continuously
(1 driving cycle detection logic)

I wonder if you have snagged a wire or accidentally unplugged something.
This may or may not affect the idling, but certainly explains the traction control light.

The other option is have you got the timing 180 degrees out? Not sure on your model, but a lot cam time on #4 and ignition time on #1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.. Turns out the C1122 code disappears after driving the car for a bit.

The engine still runs like crap though..

Can anyone explain the "180 degrees out"?

I assume that would be the ignigtion timing if the car has a dizzy?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
#5 is engine ECU, thats in the engine bay i believe. look for damage on the BRN wire to the p/s control module from the engine ECU. open or shorted is a common cause of this error too. It seems horribly co-incidental its done it after a head gasket replacement.

does the code come back?

as for the 180 comment, CKP and CMP sensors determine firing, if they are 180 degrees out relative to each other then timing issues can definitely appear.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Can anyone tell me what code c1122 means I've just purchased a 2008 sx4 and the engine light is on
read the posts above, its all explained there

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
follow the diagnostic procedure in the picture above, its either an engine speed sensor, the ECM or the electric power steering control module or a wiring issue

·
Registered
826 Posts
.... I've just purchased a 2008 sx4 ...
Please fill up your profile or signature with details about car, location , so we know each time you come back...Engine? AWD? Transmission?(manual or auto) Model?(hatch or sedan). THe little flag by your name seems from AUstralia.. . ...I think there you have the J20A engine and a hydraulic power steering, not electric. Details bring more relevant replies.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
both electric and hydraulic are available in Aussie, imports are either electric or hydraulic as well. You won't get a C1122 on a hydraulic p/s model.

·
Registered
826 Posts
both electric and hydraulic are available in Aussie, imports are either electric or hydraulic as well. You won't get a C1122 on a hydraulic p/s model.
Thanks for this precision...THen I would guess that is..was.. the same for NZ ?
OK you would not have a C1122 for the hydraulic P/S...but why not for the other items mentioned for C1122?...or the "other items" are part of the electric P/S management.....
We only have hydraulic p/s for the SX4 in Canada and the USA...but my SOrento has an electric P/S. ONe thing I see with this, is that the P/S assist is variable, more at low speed, less at highway speed. As long as it works, I like it. Maybe Simmi could see if there is a noticeable effect on steering assist....

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
C1102 is particular to electric assist only, but speed and engine rev sensors are common to a lot of systems and codes. Electric p/s adds assitance based on torque required to turn wheel. As speed increases, the "turning off centre" resistance of the wheels when rolling decreases, the castor angle of the wheels to a degree allows them to turn more freely when starting to move off centre (and this is also why car steering self centres) so the p/s controller uses engine speed and wheel speed and internal torque sensor on the column to determine how much assist it provides

1 - 14 of 14 Posts