Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thank you for taking the time to read my post and possibly helping me out. I bought a2008 Suzuki sx4 yesterday from a dealer. 76,000 miles on it. It's super clean and runs like brand new.

The next day after I bought the car after only putting about 20 miles on it I had a break down. I went from home to a gas station about 4 miles away. I parked in there lot and went in for a drink. I didn't buy gas. When I came out my car would not start. It would turn over like normal but wouldn't fire up. I tried for a few minutes and called my brother.

My brother got in it and switched the key forward and back a few times to run the fuel pump. He then tried a few 5 second cranks. Then he did a 15 second crank and it fired up.

After my brother got it running the engine light came on immediately. I took it to advanced auto and they said it was the crank shaft sensor. I drove home with the check engine light on and shut the car off. Waited a few seconds and started it back up
At which point the check engine light went out.

Could you please help.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I can't believe what I read here...
www.avigex.ca/sx4/CKP.pdf Dropping the transmission just to reach this small part is total overkill...
Hope the actual problem is elsewhere..though what you describe is typical of crank position sensor failure....but at that age and mileage, this seems premature.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the keyless feature and tried to start the car one time without the key in range and similar problem happened. I had to turn the key switch off completely - wait a bit - re-start attempt and all was fine afterward - never a problem again for years

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update. I took the car back to the dealer and told them about the crank position sensor code. They cleaned some gunk and said if the problem happens again to bring it back. It happened again the next day but it was worse. This time the car failed to start when my wife came out of the grocery store. After 5 minutes of trying she got it started. Then at a red light the car stalled and took several minutes to get started again. Cars behind her blowing there horns and throwing there arms up.

After I got home from work I took it into the dealer. I told them it happend again and that I smelled fuel. They said that's common from a bad crank position sensor.

It went in on wed and today I stopped in to check on it. They dropped the transmission and got the new crank sensor on. They found 2 injector o rings were leaking and fixed them. They took it for a drive and the o2 sensor tripped an alarm. They ordered the part and will have it on around Monday. They said they want a suzuki o2 sensor cause the off brands will never let the engine light go off.

I'm worried about the catalytic converter now. Is that covered under the powertrsin 100000 mile warranty?

Thank you all. And thank you hard working mechanics at my dealership

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.