Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got a new set of rims and tires for my swift just wondering what pressure I should run the tires at, The rims are 17x7 and the tires are low profile 205/45/17, the guy at the tire shop said I should have the pressure at 38-40 psi which seems a bit high, just wondering what you guys think i should run it at?

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
What's the original tire size and the recommended pressure for that size - it should be on the placard in the door jamb.

I would start at the recommended pressure for the OE size and adjust from there - there are a couple of different ways to determine the ideal pressure - my suggestion is that you find a quiet stretch of straight road, mark a wide band across the tire tread with chalk, drive in a straight line for a reasonable distance and then check the chalk mark - if it has rubbed off more in the center, the pressure it too high; if it has rubbed off on both edges, the pressure is too low; if it has rubbed off on more on one edge, you have an alignment issue.

Just my opinion, but 205s are on the narrow side for a seven inch wide rim - you might want to check the tire manufacturers recommended rim widths.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original wheel and tire size is 16x6 and 195/50/16
The tire pressure in the door jamb is 33psi in the front and 30psi in the rear.

Thanks for the advice and fast response I hadn't thought to use chalk to find the tire mark on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
I think you'll find the original pressures to be very close, if not exactly what you need - 38~40 psi is definitely high, and with 45 profile tires, that's going to be a bone jarring ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts